BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Where can I find info to help build videography Business Plan?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reg(inald)Where can I find info to help build videography Business Plan?
by on Oct 10, 2006 at 6:30:27 pm

After running an event video business (grads, dance recitals, weddings, etc)as a "paying hobby" for five years, being downsized out of my real job has got me planning to go full time with the video thing. I've had some corporate video experience (talking heads presentations, community involvement promotion, etc)and plan to include these (among others)in my list of service offerings.
Some outplacement consultants are helping me put my business plan together. They're stressing the importance of defining the size of the industry and the market niche that I'm aiming for - the information will help me assess the viability of my business and likelihood of success (etc.).
This makes sense to me.
I cannot locate any statistics on the event videography "industry". I can't think of any forums or central points where useful information might lurk.

So my QUESTION(s) is/are:
How have other people tackled a business plan for event and/or corporate videography? Where did you go for your "industry size" and "market niche size" info? How did you assess the market and your place in it?
(I'm located in Southern Alberta, Canada, but am happy to receive advice that relates to anywhere... anywhere at all!)

Return to posts index

JbaumchenRe: Where can I find info to help build videography Business Plan?
by on Oct 11, 2006 at 2:40:00 am

Check to see if Calgary has a small business center like this one:

The one in Vancouver has a database where you can enter the industry code and retreive information on the companies doing business under that code. Stuff like how long they've been in business, annual reported revenue, number of employees, contact names, etc......

Choose your industry first, (target market). Then do some informal telephone calls along the lines of a survey. (I'm contemplating starting a business that provides.....and just wanted to check to see if your company has ever used/thought of using these services....

There are a lot of Canadian Federal and Provincial programs to help small business startups. If you've been downsized, check to see if there are any entrepreneurial skills training programs in your area. I know there is one at BCIT. It essentially helps you do up a markeing/business plan while collecting EI for up to a year while you get your business up and running. Here is a link to some of the BC programs:

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved