BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Shooting a Pilot

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aanarav Sareen
Shooting a Pilot
on Sep 17, 2006 at 2:29:21 am

One of the "big 4" networks recently contacted me to shoot a pilot for one of their newer shows. Now, I have produced, directed and aired many TV shows in the past. However, this is a new one for me. Here is what the job entails:

a) Script and talent are provided by the network.
b) My company has to provide the network with the equipment and final product delivery. So, essentially my company will be handling the entire production process and the post-production process.

Now, I have never done anything of this caliber or even in this category. But, because of my past projects with this particular network, they have selected my company to handle the shooting and the delivery process. Does this sound highly unusual? I have worked on a lot of broadcast projects, but have never done anything this way. I always thought that a network would shoot its own pilot episodes.

Some additional info:
This is a very "low-end" network project. In other words, it would only air during the weekends (at approx. 11:00am) in most US markets, including the metro markets. I have been hinted that this project won't survive that long, but they want to give it a shot.

Aanarav Sareen
premiere@asvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
Re: Shooting a Pilot
on Sep 18, 2006 at 8:39:37 pm

Not at all unusual. I don't know the scope of the program or production values, but quite a bit of network production is off campus and without network staff and gear. The last one I did was "Caesars Challenge" for NBC Daytime - staff and facilities were all out of house.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Sep 18, 2006 at 10:02:48 pm

Thanks, Frank. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? This is primarily a reality based health/workout show.

Thanks,
Aanarav

Aanarav Sareen
premiere@asvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Sep 19, 2006 at 3:49:18 am

Not really...be sure your contract limits the corrections Network makes or you'll be tweaking it forever. And all talent fees are theirs, including lodging, F&B/Craft Services or you could get stuck with talent demands like limo and driver, special meals, rooms etc.

It's those kinda production costs that sneak up on you.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Sep 22, 2006 at 7:24:35 am

Thanks, Frank. I will find out those details with the network.

Much appreciated,
Aanarav

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]