BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Notion of whatever to receive

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PrGraphistNotion of whatever to receive
by on Sep 10, 2006 at 5:45:58 am

I have just finish a job for a client, and I no have Idea how much charge. The Job five minute of edited footage on Premiere with few AE graphics and effects, not to much complicated. One 4min "collage" of photos and videos, I repeat the collage's secuance to other two songs, all with a simple EncoreDVD menu with few chapter and a scene select section. How much I can charge for that??. Any tips for calculate that??

*** All the footage are provided from client I do not have to go to film anything. Only editing and effects Job***

Return to posts index

promoboyRe: Notion of whatever to receive
by on Sep 10, 2006 at 4:44:07 pm

Well, since you didn't negotiate your rates upfront charge them $20,000 and go from there. :-)

Honestly, you should have had all of this laid out before hand so there are no surprises for you or the client. Figure out how many hours it took you to do all of this, decide on an hourly rate that's fair for your market and your level of skill, multiply the number of hours by your rate and issue a bill. You may need different rates--one rate for editing, one for your AE work, one for authoring the DVD, cost of material, etc...or lump it all together. Either way, get ready to defend your final number because it will probably be much higher than what the client is expecting--especially since they don't know what to expect!

Always, always figure this out before you start, and get paid before you cut one frame--do a seach on these forums and you'll find many people suggest 1/3 up front, 1/3 upon finishing the rough cut and before starting on revisions, 1/3 paid after revisions are made and BEFORE the final product is handed over. Or 1/2 up front and 1/2 upon delivery.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

tony salgadoRe: Notion of whatever to receive
by on Sep 10, 2006 at 5:20:26 pm

You now have no leverage and will be at the mercy of whatever the client is willing to pay you.

Never start a job without first discussing how much you will charge and what deliverables and services the client will receive.

No one here on this forum can tell you what to charge because we do not know your skill sets, experience, or talent level and the current market rate in your area for similar services.

That said you could charge anywhere between $100 to $10,000 and see how the client reacts.

Your case is the worst one to be in because discussing compensation (with no prior deal) after the job is completed rarely ends up in your favor.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved