BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Client wants authoing files along with finished interactive demo

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Martin
Client wants authoing files along with finished interactive demo
on Sep 6, 2006 at 9:26:46 pm

I am bidding a project to produced a flash based software demo. I suspect that the fee for the project will be somewhere between $10k and $15K.

Typically when we do a project like this we give them the finished flash animation only. If they want to modify the project at sometime in the future, they have to come back to us and we charge a reasonable fee for our efforts. Most clients understand and respect that they are paying for the finished product and not the blueprint of how the product was created.

However, this particular client is interested in the original authoring files and is willing to pay for them - over and above the cost of the production.

I don't know what a reasonable fee would be to give them the authoring files. Does anybody have any practicle advise? Been there-done that?

Thanks,
Steve

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Client wants authoing files along with finished interactive demo
on Sep 9, 2006 at 2:22:00 am

I always had similar rules, but the fact is that if you created the original files on the client's dime, they're entitled to those files under laws governing work for hire. You'll want to check your state's spin on this, but having worked in Florida, this is what I recall.

They're entitled to the original files....but not anything you DID to them. Certainly not to the tools you used. As a result, they're not entitled to your copy of Flash, your secret-sauce compression settings, the music you used (unless composed originally for them), etc. I'd try to persuade them that, even with the files, what makes the work a work of art is YOU. Further more, it will be cheaper and safer for them to leave it all in your loving care. And do they really want to learn Flash to the level of even being able to understand what you did before they made any adjustments to the files?

But if they're firm about wanting them, you're probably hosed.

The worst, worst, worst variation on this for me was a client who insisted on seeing the raw footage I shot of a musical performance in his restaurant...shot with one camera, obviously before I had a chance to edit it.

I tried to use the analogy that eating a raw egg, some sugar and a cup of flour was a lot different than eating dessert, but he was having none of it. So I set it up to show him, and in walks the dozen or so people he invited to watch it with him!! There was lots of loud sniping about "I could have shot that," from a group of drunkards even less receptive to the thing about the raw eggs than the owner guy was.

In the end, the client was satisfied with the edited version, but it was so stressful that I turned down his repeated offers to do more work for him....

Return to posts index

Steve Martin
on Sep 9, 2006 at 1:09:07 pm

Excellent P0ints - Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jbaumchen
on Sep 16, 2006 at 3:20:18 am

I would venture to say that the client IS NOT entitled to the authoring files unless you agree up-front to provide them. Just as in producing a video, the client gets the finished product, not the photoshop, aftereffects, project files, or raw footage.

If they want the 'source' files, it means that they are unlikely to come back to you for repeat business. I would charge at least 4 x for the source codes over what I would charge for just the finished product.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Steve Martin
on Sep 23, 2006 at 12:46:02 am

Thanks Jbaumchen,

That was my original thought as well. I ended up quoting the job at 1.5x if they wanted the authoring files. But did not include any working files (i.e layered PSDs, ProTools audio etc...). Only the finished production elements plus the Authoring Files to animate them. I probably gave it away too cheap but what they heck - it's only $$!

They're main concern was to be able to translate into various languages which I really didn't want any part of anyways. Mostly b/c I would have to rely on outside translaters and I can't be certain if it's correct and didn't want that hassle factor in my life.

We'll see how it goes and if I get the job. We'll know soon.

I appreciate your input - this is agreat forum for advise!

Steve

Production is fun - but lets not forget: Nobody ever died on the video table!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]