BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Person wants a dvd of MY work to bring in more business

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnie BlayzePerson wants a dvd of MY work to bring in more business
by on Sep 1, 2006 at 4:43:22 pm

I have a quick question concerning allowing someone the usage of your work to bring in business.

I did a (mom & pop)commercial for this small business marketing agency. It was some quick cash on side from my regular gig. He paid me three bills for 1 hour 1 hour edit. Needless to say I gave him a little more his money. Maybe to much. Anyways he loved the commercial. He was also impressed with another commercial I sent him to show him my capibilites. Now he has asked me to put together a DVD of the present commercial I did for him and any other commercials I have did and he will take that and sell my services. I'm pretty sure he may also use it to push his service too. Any advice on how to handle this. The guy is small time but he claims he's agrressively marketing to mom and pop businesses to do commercials. My first thought is to put the dvd together with my logo plastered everywhere including watermarks on the videos. So when we part ways my rep and work will be protected. Again how should I handel this.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Person wants a dvd of MY work to bring in more business
by on Sep 1, 2006 at 5:04:34 pm

This is fairly simple. Since the other guy is essentially proposing a partnership, you need to establish that partnership in writing. That does not mean you're marrying the guy (no exclusivity), does not mean you have get a lawyer to write up the agreement, and does not mean you have to spend money to establish a new legal entity. It simply means that you two write and sign a basic agreement in your own words that establishes your working relationship and specifies the division of labor and the division of the fruits of your labor. Everything he sends out tp promote new business should clearly represent your partnership, with your name and number attached too, otherwise, after using your work to sell himself, he might simply exclude you at anytime.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved