BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Project Rates - Need Suggestions ASAP

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ScottsdigitalphotoProject Rates - Need Suggestions ASAP
by on Jul 31, 2006 at 7:24:28 pm

I am negotiating videography and production of events by a sports promotor. I am not sure how to stucture my fees, including licensing. I usually charge a flat rate for most projects, but this will be an ongoing gig. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

GregRe: Project Rates - Need Suggestions ASAP
by on Aug 4, 2006 at 3:24:16 pm

Can you provide more info as to what exactly you're doing and providing?

Return to posts index

ScottsdigitalphotoRe: Project Rates - Need Suggestions ASAP
by on Aug 5, 2006 at 2:13:59 pm

thanks for the reply.

The project includes ongoing videography of bicycle races around the state of colorado. Post production will include promotional videos and public access cable shows. Also, the races draw top level riders from around the world. These are high end professional short track mountain bike races and Cycle La Cross races put on by a local promoter.

When I shoot weddings I charge $165/hour plus travel and editing time. I am thinking of giving this guy a break since it will be an ongoing relationship.

thanks for any input.

Return to posts index

tony salgadoRe: Project Rates - Need Suggestions ASAP
by on Aug 5, 2006 at 3:16:14 pm

Give him a break once and you will never be able to raise your rates later easily.

It is essential to establish the real rate you intend to charge for the duration of your "relationship" with the client on the front end.

Why would a client pay more if the last time you gave him a break. They will expect the break everytime because that is the rate you have defined what you are worth and not a penny more.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Tom MeeganRe: Project Rates - Need Suggestions ASAP
by on Aug 6, 2006 at 1:41:51 am

Most sports shooters (video, not photograpy) work "for hire" meaning they have do not have any rights to the footage. However, as you are structuring a long term deal, you may be able to work out the rights differently.

Are you shooting with one camera or many? The cable access coverage of the races implies many cameras

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved