BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Should I market myself as a business or as an individual?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FlowMotionShould I market myself as a business or as an individual?
by on Jul 27, 2006 at 3:43:16 am

I've had my own video production "business" for six years now. It's been a part time thing and I have done very little marketing. I am at a point where I am ready to do some serious marketing, but I've been wondering... should I market myself as a business or should I market myself as an individual. I think the best title/description for me is Independent Producer. I produce mostly promotional videos and commercials. I do everything; conceptualizing, writing, shooting, directing, editing, animation, DVD authoring, etc... Lately I've started getting more freelance work as an editor --which is really no different than my other work except I'm not doing the whole thing myself. It just seems strange, as a freelancer, to hand an employer a business card with a company name on it. It seems to say "I've got my own business but I don't get enough business, so I'm freelancing."--which is true but it's not the impression I want to give. Also, I've always kind of felt like a fake talking about my "production company"--After all, I'm the only member of the company. So, should I just bag the company name and market myself under my name as an independent producer, editor, director, etc...? Y'know, I've never been totally satisfied with my company name anyway. It's okay in writing but when you say "Flowmotion" to someone, they always think it's Slowmotion! I hate that. Am I making any sense or am I just a raving lunatic? Anybody have any thoughts on this? Any guidance appreciated!

Return to posts index

JoeRe: Should I market myself as a business or as an individual?
by on Jul 27, 2006 at 3:48:41 pm

Who says you can't do both.

Freelance card given to other production companies , etc.

Company card to solicit commercials, corporate videos, etc.

Return to posts index

GregRe: Should I market myself as a business or as an individual?
by on Jul 27, 2006 at 9:34:18 pm

I'm a one-man shop but I freelance as an editor and a producer/director. I invoice all clients under my company name. I also work with many other editors and producers who also have a company name they work under. My feeling is that the preception of who I am and what I do is better respected than if I was just Greg. Just my opinion.

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Should I market myself as a business or as an individual?
by on Jul 28, 2006 at 8:43:17 am

Freelancers do the work of one individual. A company owner hires others to do the work for them. You can always say "I like your project so much that I've decided to shoot it myself instead of Dan, my usual shooter". It's OK to lie. (no reference to Dan C.) Lightning will not strike you. Lying can be better titled as Creative Verbal Manipulation.

Also, if you're going to be a company, become an LLC or a sub chapter S corportation and apply to the IRS for an employee identification number, better known as an EIN. When a client goes to pay you, if you give them your social security number, you run the risk of being their employee. If you can give them an EIN, they simply write you a check and you are then responsible for the tax thing. Ask your CPA about this. It's all really easy.

Yes, you are a raving lunatic, so therefore, you probably are a candidate for becoming a business owner.

I've preached for years that a successful video production will "flow", like music, along with a flowing hand gesture. When you tell someone the name of your company, say Flow very distinctly, with the hand gesture and they'll get it. If they don't, slap them while you've already got your hand thing working. Work on this in front of a mirror. After enough time, you'll also be able to label yourself an actor.

Sound business advice (IMHO): 10. Do not ever get behind in your taxes. 9. Do not slap anyone in front of a witness, unless you slap the witness too. 8. Pay people quickly and fairly. 7. Always charge enough. 6. Do not let anyone screw you out of money. 5. Enjoy the business. It can be a blast. 4. Raise your prices till some people cry about it. 3. Do more than you get paid for. 2. Carry enough insurance. (Companies carry insurance) 1. Be honest. Everything else will fall in line behind this.

Go get em'

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

keyframeRe: Should I market myself as a business or as an individual?
by on Aug 18, 2006 at 4:36:21 pm

[Steve Wargo] "It's OK to lie."

[Steve Wargo] "1. Be honest."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved