BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Advice on finding first post production job?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bluebonnetAdvice on finding first post production job?
by on Jul 2, 2006 at 5:51:54 pm

I am positing on the job board because I want some feedback as to how approach obtaining work at a design boutique, network or post production house. I have had a really difficult time finding work as an entry level after effects production assistant or an assistant editor here in NYC. I would be willing to work for free, to gain experience, yet I don't know where to go. I have an MFA in design, feel I have a good entry level reel and a decent resume, but I have no idea why I am not able to even get a call back from post houses when I mail them work.

My technique has been to respond to ads on Craigslist and Mandy. I have been trying this for a year now, and I'm not really moving forward. Does anyone have any advice? I may need a new strategy, since this one hasn't worked.

Return to posts index

tony salgadoRe: Advice on finding first post production job?
by on Jul 2, 2006 at 10:02:11 pm

First mistake offering to work for free only results in slave work. Offering to work for experience is a turn off to employers who desire qualified experienced applicants not those looking to start out and then take off after a short stay.

Just take a look at the no pay jobs offered on Mandy's and Craig's list.
Most ad's sponsered by producer's on the lookout for newbies such as yourself who will take a bite for free.

In the long run you are wasting your time working for free as a slave with little hope of expanding your horizons.

Best bet is to try to get paid work in a related department to the one you are interested in.

For example instead of trying to get the assistant editor position consider applying for the tape operator or quality control operator and working your way up to the editorial department. A paid internship might be another option if you can find the right facility to connect up with.

You have to gain some networking contacts first and foremost before you can "fly" into your ideal dream job.

FYI mailing random resumes out to employers generally results in the resume being filed in the waste paper basket.
A direct contact via a face to face meeting or short discusiion is key for anyone to remember who you are and what you have to offer.

Finding a job is no different than finding a long term girlfriend or wife.... you have to shop around for a long time and be willing to make the relationship work for both of you.

Some other websites to look at for job listings are all the major networks as well as NABET which all have job listings for freelancers as well as full or part time employees.

Good luck,

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

bluebonnetRe: Advice on finding first post production job?
by on Jul 3, 2006 at 6:10:49 pm

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Advice on finding first post production job?
by on Jul 5, 2006 at 3:40:48 pm

I don't want to be too discouraging, but the best advice I could offer is to look outside of NYC. It's the number 1 market in the country and most places you are going to look at there are going to want 5 years experience.

Just for comparison, about 3 years ago I interviewed for a position in Tampa and we started talking about my reel... came up that for this one position they had recieved over 200 reels. Imagine how much interest there must be to get a position in NYC. I'm sure most houses there recieve 5-10 reels a day, when they aren't hiring.

IMO, look for a smaller market, then work your way up to NYC, just my .02 cents

Good Luck

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

TGJohnsonRe: Advice on finding first post production job?
by on Jul 3, 2006 at 12:15:11 pm

I had to find a new job recently after getting out of a bad situation that started out like your own. I didn't have any experience and was looking for entry-level work. I found a small post house that took me on as an intern, then eventually began paying me. The problem is that right from the get-go the guy thought he could treat me like a slave and eventually, when enough was enough, I quit.
I put together a new reel, got a pretty thorough list of post/design/effects houses in the area, and started cold-calling. This may sound a little drastic, but most of the time, if you offer to stop by whenever they want to drop off your reel, almost anyone is willing. A lot of the time, people will give you a quick interview as well. Seriously, what does it cost them to give you 20 minutes?
I made a lot of good contacts in that way and got a good feel for th market, who was doing what and so on. But I actually landed my new job by posting my resume on a creative job site. Think about it this way, when a company needs somebody new, first thing is to check out who's already out there, not post a vacancy ad and filter through 10,000 replies. I think lots of openings never get posted.
Hope that was helpful.

Travis Johnson
Milan, Italy

Return to posts index

sonrisa28Re: Advice on finding first post production job?
by on Jul 7, 2006 at 5:33:41 pm

I graduated college in 2003 with radio/tv background and a very hard time finding a company to hire a fresh graduate. So instead i went to work for a professional video/camera sales store, since i dealt with all video clients it was a good way to make contacts. In fact last year one of my best clients (a production house) hired me as a full time editor. it was also a great place to keep up to date on all the latest products that were coming out in the industry. anways just my two cents...good luck

Return to posts index

Michael ChriselleRe: Advice on finding first post production job?
by on Oct 25, 2011 at 11:05:37 pm

TGJohnson, I am also trying to get into the industry and came across your post. What are the names of the creative job sites you were speaking of? Job-hunting can be so discouraging.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved