BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

making PDFs

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Markusmaking PDFs
by on Jul 21, 2006 at 5:19:58 am

I'm torn between 72 and 150 dpi when making PDFs. Most people will just watch it on a computer (72dpi) but some will print it out, and unless it's 150 dpi, the pictures will be stairsteppy blowups. My stuff is wall to wall images, so 150dpi will more than double the final file size, making it sometimes too big to email, so what is the magic formula ? The other issue is page size and shape- typical paper documents are vertical but computer monitors are horizontal. So what's the best formula for page size in inches, and dpi for jpegs etc when making a brand new Word doc that will be turned into a PDF ?

Return to posts index

Ken BurnstonRe: making PDFs
by on Jul 21, 2006 at 12:29:02 pm

I'd use 72dpi and a page setting of 8.5x11 or A4 if you are in that area of the world.

Anything bigger than that is going to have issues.

Return to posts index

MarkusRe: making PDFs
by on Jul 21, 2006 at 2:38:30 pm

I've been doing that but the 72 dpi stuff doesn't look good printed out because home printers are 150 dpi. What are software manuals and other pro documents made at ?

Return to posts index

Kevin WoodRe: making PDFs
by on Jul 21, 2006 at 8:48:36 pm

If you're using Acrobat, you need to find the right combo in the graphics compression settings - DPI & compression level.

I can't comment on other PDF generators.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved