BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

frustraded times

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mister T.frustraded times
by on Jun 14, 2006 at 1:10:06 pm

Hello there,

Im frustraded, i could cry as a baby.
Im a graduated student(editing, graphic art) for a while and now working as a freelancer(editing and after effects work), cause i cant find a steady job.

Today they mensioned that i dont have the job, with i did a soliciation for, that i was selected from 100s and being with the last 3, i dont have the job.
Also i did a freelance 8 our work at home yesterday and they said whe are not going to use it, made me in a f* bad mooth.

Because i dont have a btw-nr(a company nr in europe) and dont realy have a company, cause i cant effort it(cause i was born poor) its hard to do freelance jobs cause they mess around with ya.

But hey, i dont want to be a wanker!!

But i have problems finding freelance jobs.
My questions to the proffesional Afx dudes: How do you get jobs? Do you have your one company? How do you promote yourselfs? How did you started? What did ya studie?

I liked to know. Maby it helps me going.

(hope you understand what i mean, cause typing english aint my best)

Return to posts index

GregRe: frustraded times
by on Jun 14, 2006 at 3:01:10 pm

Wow...First of all I'm not sure how things work in your country but it doesn't take much to become incorporated here in the US. You need to check with the local government in your area. Check the web for starting a small business.

Then once you start up, create a website. You need a real great site if you're looking to do graphics work. You also need to create some samples that you can show those who come to your site. Get out thhere and attend networking events. Do some freebies if you need to create some demos. It's more about what you can do for other businesses, not what you studied.

WARNING. It will get frustrating. It will be hard. t will take a long time. But be strong. KKeep going forward. Keep learning and telling eveyone about what you do.

Also make sure that you check and double check any written communications, or have someone proof read your stuff. Hopefully typing in your own language is not as challenging as typing in English. However, you didn't do badly!

Good Luck.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: frustraded times
by on Jun 14, 2006 at 6:41:30 pm

T, I don't want to seem like we're piling on you about the typos and grammar, but editing video and making graphics BY DEFINITION is a precision business, and if your communications with potential clients or bosses looked like your first post, it's no wonder you're not getting the respect you deserve. You may be a wonderkind but they can't see past the poor surface impression to understand that.

Let me ask you why you did 8 hours "on spec" for them; did they ask you to, or was that your own idea to get your foot in the door and keep a conversation going? If the latter, I think it was a good gamble that in this case just didn't pay off. Perhaps you could still add it to your demo reel if you think it is a good piece of work. I once won an award entering a spec piece the client had turned down. Why yes, I DID happen to let it slip in later communications to that client, how did you guess?;-)I KNEW it was good; they'd just had a lack of vision. And other problems in their management system. But that's another story...

If THEY asked you to do the piece, in advance, for free, with the idea they would only pay for it if they liked it, that's a bad business deal to agree to. Likewise, the most famous lie in this business is: "Give us a break on this one, and we'll throw you a lot more business later".

Ad agencies often pitch spec pieces to clients or prospective clients, but usually they charge at least a token amount for the effort. There are agencies that make almost as much on billed-for failed spec submissions as they do on accepted gigs. The idea is that, like Edison, when one of his experiments failed, it still taught him something useful about what DOESN'T work. And that knowledge is worth billing *something* for, IMO.

Even if they don't buy your spec, it may lead them in a direction they had not considered before. That client of mine I mentioned earlier did something like that once: they turned my pitch down but said they'd like to borrow some elements of it and they offered to reimburse me a token amount for that, and for the legwork and research I'd put into the pitch. It's a judgement call deciding when to accept those kinds of deals, but in that particular case it was ok, I won't bore you with the details why.

My ego was satisfied later though, seeing their version of my campaign fail becasue of poor execution. The guy that took my ideas and ran with them didn't fully grasp all the thinking and strategy behind it, got some elements of it wrong during the adaptation process, and therefore it flopped. I felt good about my end of the deal, I had done my creative best and they chose another way.

It is never easy to be told they found somebody better, but the fact is there is ALWAYS somebody better than you at some aspect of this business. The consolation is there are usually many more that are worse than you, and if you stay dedicated you can take business away from them.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: frustraded times
by on Jun 17, 2006 at 1:52:23 pm

Greg: First of all I'm not sure how things work in your country but it doesn't take much to become incorporated here in the US.

It is so simple to start a business in the US that most of us are clueless that it would be any different elsewhere. I don

Return to posts index

Pixel MonkeyRe: frustraded times
by on Jun 15, 2006 at 9:23:22 pm

Mister T,

"When you start, it's money or art. Not both." I did a tremendous amound of editing for free - or for very, VERY little pay. Now I have reel I am proud of. Once I had that, self-promotion became less difficult. Yes, I did starve for a while, but the nice thing about doing free editing was that I had the ability to choose what projects I wanted to work on.

I've also found that getting independent film and video work depended very little on education and more upon my reel. If you're trying to get a regular editing job however - perhaps at a TV station or advertising agency - you'll find that education becomes more important.

Also remember that editing and graphic arts are NOT jobs where you are the highest creative power. You are hired by directors, producers, clients and executives who make the final decisions... And they have bosses too. Much of your time will be spent doing work that doesn't get used. If you can deal with that, you'll do fine. Even Steven Spielberg does work that doesn't get used. That's why movies now have "directors cuts" and "DVD bonus material".

Good luck!

`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey

Just finished editing "Frank Lloyd Wright's Buffalo" - see it on PBS Sept 4, 2006 at 10pm.

Return to posts index

SuperflyRe: frustraded times
by on Jun 16, 2006 at 7:04:19 pm

I work a day job and run my video business after hours which is when most of the work happens anyway. I could live off my video business if I wanted to rent a house, but I am buying a house in the most expensive market in the world (California) so I work like a dog for now.

The video business grows every year and I get better at marketing it every year.

It just doesn't happen over night, and camera operators just don't make good money unless they are on HUGE Hollywood movies.

Start your own business or just do it for the love of it cause just shooting video does not pay.

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: frustraded times
by on Jun 24, 2006 at 2:27:42 pm

I think you need advice from people in Bruges.

There is at least one forum leader on the COW (not on this forum) who started his business near you. If you post your e-mail I'll send you contact info.

As for your English, it got your message across quite effectively.

-- Bob C.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved