BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

One man production business - "We" or "I"

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael KellamOne man production business - "We" or "I"
by on May 2, 2006 at 9:45:13 pm

Hello all,
I am putting together a web site, intending to get more clients for my tv/video production work. As I have been describing the services and such, I have been saying things like "We offer..." and "We can help" even though the business is just me. I have a group of production professional friends who I can call to help with larger projects, but it still seems awkward to say "We" when I am primarily saying "me". Do you think it is better to represent the company as "we" or "me". I know it seems perfectionist, but I don't want to scare off people who think one guy can't do it all. (Believe me, I recently got a regional production to air where I was the one guy from start to finish and I'd like to avoid doing that again!! Production is definitely a team sport!)

Let me know your thoughts, please!

Michael Kellam

Return to posts index

GregRe: One man production business - "We" or "I"
by on May 3, 2006 at 7:17:08 pm

I'm a one-man band, but go by "we". Often you need another person, grip, audio, prompter, make-up, etc. That constitutes a"we" without lying.

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: One man production business - "We" or "I"
by on May 6, 2006 at 1:50:16 am

I know somebody who got her business off the ground (not a video business) by typing with her left hand while answering the phone with her right. She was typing gibberish, of course, but the sound effect worked -- she made millions in about ten years, before retiring. And when she quit, she had scads of employees, typing real stuff for her.

So maybe in time "I" can become "we."

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Michael KellamRe: One man production business - "We" or "I"
by on May 6, 2006 at 11:54:40 am

Bob and Greg,

Thanks for responding! I especially liked your story Bob. I think it demonstrates the power of the perception of the company and that's what I was wondering about. My wife and I publish several different books including a cookbook. We found that more people buy the book when the price is higher than when we lower it. I've concluded that the customers' perception of the value is partly related to the price.

In the same way, I have the flexibility of bringing in friends who are pros if I need them but I don't have to do it if the project doesn't support more than one person.

Thanks again for your answers! They definitely helped!

Michael Kellam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved