BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Good article in the Cow Mag Nick...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kolb
Good article in the Cow Mag Nick...
on May 1, 2006 at 2:20:09 pm

I liked it. Solid information that too many of us doubt until we end up experiencing it.

I hope that for the next one you'll be writing on how you pull off the coat/tie/flip-flop look.

:-)

TimK,

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
Re: Good article in the Cow Mag Nick...
on May 1, 2006 at 7:14:56 pm

Thanks, Tim. Trying to find the balance between stupidly obvious and painfully insightful. But mostly looking to begin some new discussions. After all, the business part of this IS the one thing we all have in common.

As to the flip-flops, I find it

Return to posts index

PEYIII
on May 1, 2006 at 9:56:34 pm

Mr. Griffin,

Great article in the Cow Mag. I always thumb thru a mag when I get one in the mail to see what I want to read first and when I sawyour article I stopped and read it, read it again and made a friend of mine read it. I really liked #9, "Time and Effort Frow Exponetially After 80%" I ned to have everyone I work with at my full time job read that part! As I'm trying to start my own business I will keep these points to help shape the business. How about a book?

Thanks for sharing your insights.

PHIL

Return to posts index

flowmotion
on May 2, 2006 at 3:42:56 am

Yes, I enjoyed the article too. The typos kinda bugged me though. The word "lose" was spelled "loose" three times!

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 2, 2006 at 1:44:45 pm

If typos bug you in a magazine that is largely put together by one person, then I might recommend that you unsubscribe. This, as I doubt that I'll ever get all the typos eradicated due to the fact that when you are pushing yourself to the point of exhaustion, you just don't see some things that proof readers, etc., might catch.

Oh well...

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

promoboy
on May 2, 2006 at 2:36:39 pm

Amen to that Ron. It's almost impossible to catch all typos. Pick up any magazine and read it cover to cover--chances are very good you'll find some.

I started as a copywriter and made it my mission that no typo ever go to print or to air. Well, I wrote and helped produce a half hour medical show that was proofed by me, the editor, the owner of the ad company, the sales rep, the media buyer, the vice-president of the ad agency, the talent, about four doctors, and everyone else who worked in the building (about 20+ people in all). It was given the green light and aired for about 2 months before we realized, in one 5 minute section, we'd spelled "disc" (as in the disc in your back) as "disk". Oops. With that many eyes, we should have caught it, but mistakes happen.

The fact that there were so few typos is amazing and all forgivable given the incredible content of the magazine and entirely too small of crew that worked so hard to produce it. If typos bother you, offer all of your free time to proof read every single page before production. Considering what an enormous source of help and inspiration and learning this site (and the magazine) have provided to me, I would in a heartbeat. If you want another proofer Ron, just ask.

Thanks to all who worked on the magazine. Far and above one of the greatest I have ever had the pleasure to read. The fact that it's free is almost a crime, considering the wealth of knowledge it provides. Thanks again, and I cannot wait for the next issue.

Michael.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on May 2, 2006 at 3:07:19 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "I might recommend that you unsubscribe."

Are you being a bit touchy, Ron? "Flowmotion" is clearly just trying to be helpful. Anyway, when a word is wrong three times, it's called "misspelling," not a "typo."

Lighten up and enjoy the well-deserved praise for the mag.

-- Bob C.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 2, 2006 at 3:26:42 pm

A bit touchy? No, I'd say "rather" touchy, Bob...

That happens when you work your butt off on something that half kills you getting it out.

As I joked with someone the other day: "I gave birth to a magazine and have all the paper cuts to prove it." Now there's a mental image for you...

;o)

Ron

Return to posts index

flowmotion
on May 2, 2006 at 4:14:51 pm

I apologize Ron. I didn't mean to minimize what you have accomplished and I'm sure I can't fully appreciate the tremendous effort that it took to put out the magazine. I really do appreciate Creative Cow and the great resource that it is. Being bugged by misspellings is certainly not enough to make me want to unsubscribe. I do seem to notice them everywhere. I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse. I would be happy to help by proofreading any articles you want to send my way.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on May 2, 2006 at 5:03:07 pm

I nominate flowmotion as voluntary proofreader for the next issue. God knows I surely can't proof my own stuff -- even loosely. (Or is it losely?)

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 2, 2006 at 5:19:34 pm

Yes, my apologies for not catching them in the second revision, Nick. I caught them in the first version but I was so burned out by the second draft that I was seeing only black and white, words were little more than objects that were glazed areas of light and dark on the screen.

:o)

Ron Lindeboom
(who thinks your article was simply amazing, wait until you see the next issue with some of the letters we have received about it)

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on May 2, 2006 at 5:41:08 pm

Jason (flowmotion),

You are quite entitled to your opinion and even while I may be touchy about things, it does not undo the fact that you are indeed right about the typos in the magazine.

Still, I am delighted that for a magazine on which I never had time to run the spell checker, as I worked right up until the time I had to jump into the car and drive six hours to deliver the mag to the printer, it has far fewer typos than many magazines I have seen over the years.

I am going to add your address to a new folder called "proofreaders" that I have set in my email system. I would appreciate a fresh set of eyes.

Thanks,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

flowmotion
on May 3, 2006 at 4:02:23 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "I am going to add your address to a new folder called "proofreaders" that I have set in my email system. I would appreciate a fresh set of eyes."

Great! I'd love to help any way that I can.

Return to posts index

debe
by
on May 7, 2006 at 6:03:28 pm

Ron-

I've got another set of eyes for you! If you're looking for more volunteers for your proofreading list, please count me in!

I come highly recommended by several editors who can't spell their way out of a wet paper bag. & I do more better with the grammar-ish stuff...

(Seriously, I do have grammar skills, too!)

debe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]