BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How/When do you stop?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aanarav SareenHow/When do you stop?
by on Apr 15, 2006 at 7:34:00 am

I guess this is a case of "too many clients/jobs"

Over the past year, my business has grown considerably (almost 700%) While, this is a good thing for the $$, how do you stop? I sleep less than 4 hours a day, have school for the other 4 and then for the rest of the time, I am busy with clients. I am not complaining, but I find that by the end of the day I am beat! Is there a stopping point? I would love to hear your opinions.

Return to posts index

Mike_SRe: How/When do you stop?
by on Apr 15, 2006 at 10:38:54 am

Time to think about taking on some more help, Aanarav!

Return to posts index

BobRe: How/When do you stop?
by on Apr 15, 2006 at 11:56:33 am

Congrats! Now raise your rates. Seriously.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: How/When do you stop?
by on Apr 15, 2006 at 12:28:08 pm

"Now raise your rates."

Short, sweet and dead on.

The key to growth isn't always adding staff because at some point you can find yourself looking at your business only to realize that you're working for your employees, your vendors, almost everyone but yourself. Add staff only as really needed and only when their workload is sustainable.

So what about raising the rates? In a healthy and growing business your focus should be on the top half of your clientele. You can gradually charge most existing clients more, but the real key is adding new ones at higher rates than the existing ones. Where does this turn into more time for you? When the clients who are at the bottom of the scale of profitability and/or size drop off.

I don't believe that there is a number for this or that it's a "one size fits all approach," but a portion of your time -- let's say 10 to 20% -- should be devoted to actively developing new business. Who would you like to have as a client and how are you going about getting them? Fact is the bigger the client, the longer it will take and the more complex the process. You can start knocking on doors today that may not open for years, so do it with a plan and keep doing it.

Finally, congratulations on a phenominal rate of growth! Now start managing it.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: How/When do you stop?
by on Apr 15, 2006 at 8:19:26 pm

[Bob] "Congrats! Now raise your rates. "

That can have the opposite effect... Sometimes raising rates can make you seem more "exclusive"
to clients, making you more in demand. However, its certainly better than lowering your rates to discourage clients.

Return to posts index

InklingRe: How/When do you stop?
by on Apr 16, 2006 at 3:32:57 am

[David Roth Weiss] "[Bob] "Congrats! Now raise your rates. "

That can have the opposite effect... Sometimes raising rates can make you seem more "exclusive"
to clients, making you more in demand. However, its certainly better than lowering your rates to discourage clients."

Huh?

Jamey C. Shafer
Inkling Productions
NYC

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: How/When do you stop?
by on Apr 16, 2006 at 4:03:07 am

[Inkling] "[David Roth Weiss] "[Bob] "Congrats! Now raise your rates. "

to clients, making you more in demand. However, its certainly better than lowering your rates to discourage clients."

Huh?"

True enough. Raising your rates can communicate a higher value to your services. The nice thing is that attracting clients because you're expensive is MUCH more fun than attracting them because you're cheap, because they're different clients.

TimK,

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: How/When do you stop?
by on Apr 16, 2006 at 4:34:21 am

[Tim Kolb] "The nice thing is that attracting clients because you're expensive is MUCH more fun than attracting them because you're cheap"

I wholeheartedly agree.

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: How/When do you stop?
by on Apr 16, 2006 at 3:59:59 am

Now is the time when you may want to examine what types of work you're doing and jettison the work that takes more time than it produces income.

Growth of that rate kills businesses faster than not having enough business. Most of us would be frustrated driving a car that only went 35mph...but we'd kill ourselves in a car that went 300mph...right now you're on the drag strip.

It took me the longest time to understand this relatively simple concept because most of us have a tendency to undervalue ourselves.

Raise your rates, dump any customers who are a pain in the neck as far as payment delays, unpleasant demeanor, etc. Life will be better...

TimK,

Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

Aanarav SareenRe: How/When do you stop?
by on Apr 16, 2006 at 7:24:58 am

All good reccomendations. Now, I just have to figure out how much the increase should be. If I can find out the magic percentage, I might be able to drop off the cheap customers.

Thanks all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]