BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Weddings - help getting the first few clients...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eppievojtWeddings - help getting the first few clients...
by on Apr 11, 2006 at 8:11:06 pm

I would like to start shooting and editing wedding videos, but I'm unsure of how to acquire the first few clients needed to develop a demo for prospective brides. I'm willing to shoot a few for free (which should obviously help), but how do I make local brides aware of this fact? I don't know anyone who is getting married, so friends/family is out of the question. How did everyone else who does this get their start?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

nestorlRe: Weddings - help getting the first few clients...
by on Apr 11, 2006 at 9:41:18 pm

We don't do wedding videos, but I did recently get married :-)... You should contact local wedding planners and introduce yourself. Let them know that you want to looking to do a few weddings for free. Good planners have a wedding per week from March to October, they will also be your main referral source, so be nice, polite, professional, and always give them a bit more than what they paid for and they will always come back to you.

Also, build a website and place ads on wedding sites like You should also consider placing ads and flyers on non-competitor wedding vendors that may have a bulletin board (flower shops, etc). Most metro areas also have wedding/bride fairs or expos where local vendors come and have a table advertising their services. Check if there is one in your area.

I hope this gets you started.

Nestor L. Lopez
Executive Vice-President
Explorart Films

Statements presented in the message are statements of opinion only and should not be considered legal advice. Please contact a qualified entertainment attorney.

Return to posts index

drsanchezRe: Weddings - help getting the first few clients...
by on Apr 13, 2006 at 8:37:52 pm

If you have a Craigslist in your area, that's always a good start. And in my opinion, one wedding is enough to get enough footage for basic web examples; give that one away for the cost of your consumables, then start charging. The bar is set extremely low when it comes to the $500 wedding videographers, so you should feel confident in your ability to provide a better product for more money.
And remember, the client is spending thousands of dollars on photography, a cake, ice sculptures, flying doves and assorted other nonsense, just to put your price into perspective.

drsanchez, son of a midwestern bureaucrat

Return to posts index

mark SuszkoRe: Weddings - help getting the first few clients...
by on Apr 15, 2006 at 3:52:17 am

I would talk to my pastor/minister/rabbi, and let them know you are available if they know of any upcoming weddings where the couple is short on cash and would appreciate a freebie for your demo purposes. This also is the perfect time to consult with them on what the rules of that particular place of worship are, since you're not going anywhere without their consent anyhow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved