BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

What to expect (or ask) for pay

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
flowmotionWhat to expect (or ask) for pay
by on Apr 9, 2006 at 5:26:37 am

I am in the process of applying for a position as a video editor and producer for a professional sports team. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect as far as pay? Job description is as follows:

* Video and Audio editing (linear and non-linear). Experience on DPS Velocity non-linear editing systems.
* Proficient in Adobe After Effects and Photoshop.
* Background in live event big-screen production including camera operation, technical directing, replays, and character generator.
* Technical expertise and understanding of routing systems.
* Proficient in video camera operation. Specifically, Sony DigiBeta cameras.
* Excellent organizational skills required for maintaining video library.
* Experience in scriptwriting for features and promotional videos.

Job Duties
* Produce & edit all video elements for game presentation. Video elements include, but are not limited to, Bloopers, Great Plays, Quick Flix, Baseball Basics, pre-game features, trivia features, and special occasion videos.
* Produce & edit all graphics for game presentation.
* Produce & edit special video projects throughout the year.
* Serve as Technical Director for game day production crew for big-screen presentation.
* Maintain and catalog a video library for all game highlights and events.
* Assist with the implementation of game presentation.
* Script, shoot, and create new video features to be sold by corporate business
* Handle all video dubs of sponsor first pitches, on-field presentations, etc.
* Produce any videos needed for other departments.
* Work directly with Major League Baseball Productions on all video related content.
* Provide game highlight packages for Television Network Broadcasts.
* Work in conjunction with Television Network Producer on special features for broadcast.
* Assist in production and preparation for Field events

Return to posts index

mark SuszkoRe: What to expect (or ask) for pay
by on Apr 10, 2006 at 2:54:53 am

Anything from mid-thirties up. In a perfect world, I'd expect around 55, based on your list, but then I give myself away cheap, I'm told.

The salary alone is never the whole story. My pay is lower than it should be, but a solid benefits plan, insurance, good vacation and sick leave/family leave policies, and a rocking deferred comp plan and pension plan make up for a lot. Look for sweeteners like: will they pay for you to take additional training on new software when you want? Will they pay to send you to seminars, or NAB? Will they pay entry fees when you want to enter some of your work in a competition like the Emmies or whatever? When negotiations hit a wall, side benefits like these may make a big difference.

Return to posts index

RoyRe: What to expect (or ask) for pay
by on Apr 11, 2006 at 2:16:50 am

Hi Flowmotion:
It would all depend on your market and your self worth. When it comes to these types of questions there is no direct answer. For me in New York, It would be $100,000 dollar a year job, but 10 years ago in Houston it would have been a $45,000 dollar job. They are looking for someone to wear a lot of hats, if you can fill those shoes, decide what you would want and need to live comfortably. Remember, once you say yes it is much harder to renegotiate!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved