BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Success with my show pitch...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael MunkittrickSuccess with my show pitch...
by on Mar 7, 2006 at 5:32:31 pm

I just wanted to share one of my successes with you cats. A month or so ago, I asked for your opinions on creating a new television program for kids that would highlight education through a kids eyes by using a "silly-shock" factor to keep their attention. Well, I'm happy to report that it's off the ground and will be ready to air season one of "Mostly Gross for Kids" in July. We received sponsorship for the incidental expenses and we're expecting a grant from the state in exchange for making the program a part of a new educational program that allows kids to learn one class per year via TV. As much as I dislike the idea of a kid learning from a TV instead of a teacher, at least they're learning.
So, I appreciate all of your advice and interest and would love to know if anyone has suggestions.

Michael Munkittrick
Gainesville, Florida USA

Return to posts index

JoeRe: Success with my show pitch...
by on Mar 7, 2006 at 10:19:51 pm

A few years back we were doing a show with an Aussie. I remember him talking about a show with gross stuff; can't remember the name or all of the premises, but I do remember him telling me how us "Yanks" don't like the taste of vegimite but Aussies are weened on it like peanut butter.

Perhaps you could see how the kids like it.

Anyway, good luck with your show!

Cheers,

Joe

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: Success with my show pitch...
by on Mar 9, 2006 at 6:36:46 pm

Trust me, we have a "think tank" or two entire schools comprised of over 1,300 students who are already asking questions like "Where do boogers come from?", "Why do cats cover their poop?", "Where do babies come from?" (ARGH!!!) and "How do fish go to the bathroom without peeing on themselves?"...so I think Vegimite may be quite a way down the list.

For the record, I think Vegemite is pretty good. One of my old roommates was from New Zealand and he had him Mom send us a case with 9 jars of it every month. And every month that guy would eat ALL OF IT! I faught it for months but I finally gave in one night after about 13 beers (real beer, not the hometown swill). I found that it's pretty good with crackers. Admitedly, I'd eat just about anything, but I'd honestly not go out of my way for it.

Michael Munkittrick
Gainesville, Florida USA

Return to posts index

shadowgkRe: Success with my show pitch...
by on Apr 5, 2006 at 5:49:19 pm

Perhaps you might want to share with the rest of us the process you went through and how the sale was made?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Shadowgk
Editor/graphics

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: Success with my show pitch...
by on Apr 5, 2006 at 7:18:02 pm

[shadowgk] "Perhaps you might want to share with the rest of us the process you went through and how the sale was made?"

Nope. Not really, but let me say that the sale started with a simple meeting and had terms like "Our mutal friend 'insert name here' said that this was your specialty and that you'd be able to get me in touch with the right people".

The initial pitch was to directly to people who had the ability to say yes or no at that moment, so I didn't waste a lot of time getting in front of the folks who could make the decision. One of the biggest problems I faced a few years ago was getting to the guys who made decisions. After a few projects and quite a few business diners, I'm doing what I thought was too hard to accomplish without a huge effort.

The only advice I can sare that would prove useful is to make sure that someone knows what you're capable of BEFORE you get in front of them. If there are questions about your abilities then every pitch you make will be peppered with questions that make the sale or negotiations skew toward them. The slightest doubt makes a window of escape for the potential buyer.

For the record, we didn't sell our idea or the rights to it. We're making it in-house with the hope that it will earn its place. We simply got sponsoship dollars and external fundeing that allowed for the work to move forward. In our case, that boost put us into the perfect place to make some nice profits and possibly create new pilots along the way. I'm writing a journal of the process and I expect to use it as the basis for one of my articles later this year.

Michael Munkittrick
Gainesville, Florida USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]