BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Business card dvd's

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kara Jensen
Business card dvd's
on Jan 17, 2006 at 5:58:03 am

I am wondering if anyone has experience with using business card dvd's as a marketing tool. I am thinking of handing these out at a bridal expo with a 3 min. demo on them. My main question is do they only play on computers? When I have tried them out on dvd players (2) it was not reading them. Is there a reason why?? Any insight on this would be helpful.
Thanks,
Kara Jensen

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
Re: Business card dvd's
on Jan 17, 2006 at 4:03:15 pm

Kara:

As a marketing tool I can testify that I have about 60 or 70 given to me that I've never looked at in a drawer in my office.

Half the time when I've tried them, the computer won't read them or they hang up.

If you're going the disc route - use fullsize or better yet, give out swag with the ol' company info on it...it may not get you any work, but it won't get you cursed out for munging up someone's computer or dvd player.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Arniepix
Re: Business card dvd's- they may damage some players
on Jan 18, 2006 at 7:01:21 pm

Slot loading players like those on some compact desktops or laptops can be jammed by both the card disks & the mini disks. I'd stay with a full size disk.

For added 'umph' (oomph?), you could place it in an Amaray style DVD case with the same sort of packaging that they'd receive as their own wedding DVD.

Arnie

http://www.arniepix.com

Return to posts index

mickavid
on Jan 19, 2006 at 8:33:17 pm

ok, your going to have to pay me for this idea (lol) but here goes ...

use the Amaray DVD case with packaging like you would use for a real client - BUT - use your company name as the groom and the unkown client as the bride.

then your retoric in the pamphlet (included inside) can tout how this will be a marriage made in heaven and a union that is built to last, etc, etc,...

then it is all one package that they can carry home and presto - you've just shown actual wares to a prospective client who will be more than happy to share it with their colleagues.

any questions they may have will then be answered by browsing the material in the DVD package.

Good Luck!

mickavid

Return to posts index

Kara Jensen
on Jan 19, 2006 at 9:09:29 pm

Hum... good idea. Is it a little bit silly though? My clients are all pretty high end. I guess if its done right it could be very good. I'll think about it. I still like the idea of the business card dvd just because of the "buzz" it generates. Also folks can take it to work and show it to others there and it gets my name out. The thought that it gets stuck is a scary one though. Do we know this is true? Also, as people in the business we might not be as excited about these things but to have a copy of your wedding video in your wallet to whip out at work. Pretty cool. I can just see all the people gathered around the computer now as the dvd gets stuck...ugh. Not sure what I will decide.
Thanks for ideas though,
Kara Jensen
Expectations Video Productions
expectationsvideo.com

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Jan 19, 2006 at 11:21:17 pm

[Kara Jensen] "The thought that it gets stuck is a scary one though. Do we know this is true?"

Yes, it is true. They have about a 30% failure rate due to incompatability or non format issues. They also slip off the tray and jam. Overall failure rate is closer to 45% when mechanical issues are considered.

I'd never recommend them - they are a cutsie gimmick that the dupilcators like to sell up with.

[Kara Jensen] "to have a copy of your wedding video in your wallet to whip out at work. Pretty cool."

Another thing to consider - wallet carraige could cause warpage of the disc...remember if the disc isn't perfectly flat to within 75-100 microns it won't play correctly if, at all.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Jan 19, 2006 at 9:27:21 pm

[mickavid] "use the Amaray DVD case with packaging like you would use for a real client - BUT - use your company name as the groom and the unkown client as the bride."

That's pretty much where I was going, but you've clearly gone a couple of blocks further!

Arnie

http://www.arniepix.com

Return to posts index

JNeo25
on Jan 20, 2006 at 8:05:54 pm

...after you're married and have several projects, the client can start nagging you constantly, bringing up old clients in every conversation. Eventually you'll get sick of the client's repetitiveness and start eyeing other younger, sexier, clients. Then one day she catches you working for another client, gets upset, pulls all her work from you, and you never see your projects again.

Better sign a prenup first....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]