BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Hiring an editor

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mccaincowHiring an editor
by on Dec 12, 2005 at 1:50:20 pm

I run a fairly young company. I have recently seen an explosion in business (much more than i can handle). I need to hire an editor but frankly have no experience in hiring, and I am turning to you all to give me advise about how to go about it. Perhaps you could describe some pitfalls or advise about the hiring process as well as general advise about managing a new employee in a small business. Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Hiring an editor
by on Dec 13, 2005 at 2:23:38 am

First, do you have a second editing system? Do you plan to hire and buy a new system? Are there other freelance editors in your area that have systems and can pick up some of the easier work? Do you forsee this onslaught of work to continue, or is it possibly a temporary spike? Do you have any way to gauge this?

Kind of need mor info on what your plan might be and what you are up against.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Hiring an editor
by on Dec 13, 2005 at 3:05:43 am

In my experience, I've hired far to soon and too often.

Other than that, I would recommend hiring during steady growth...for an explosion you need subconractors. Explosions are intense...and big...and over quickly. Plus training and breaking in a new employee while your workload is exploding will sap more time from you than it will free up initially.

...then after the explosion, you're left with another mouth to feed...

Kolb Syverson Communications,
Creative Cow Host,
2004-2005 NAB Post Production Conference
Premiere Pro Technical Chair,
Author, "The Easy Guide to Premiere Pro"
"Premiere Pro Fast Track DVD Series"

Return to posts index

tony salgadoRe: Hiring an editor
by on Dec 23, 2005 at 6:03:07 pm

Hire a freelance editor as they will work on a per need basis freeing you up from having them as a fulltime employee.

Depending on what your state labor and federal IRS codes are in your state you may need to pay them via a payroll company if they do not qualify as a subcontractor.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved