BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Advice on Producing Concert

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim ReidenbaughAdvice on Producing Concert
by on Nov 30, 2005 at 8:22:50 pm

Hello list,

I could really use some input and help here. I have taken on the task of producing a concert in August of

Return to posts index

David JonesRe: Advice on Producing Concert
by on Nov 30, 2005 at 11:22:44 pm

What do you usually charge for your services?

Return to posts index

Seth BloombaumRe: Advice on Producing Concert
by on Dec 1, 2005 at 5:54:38 pm

If you are just a manager for hire, a good hourly rate for all hours worked is fair. If the artist offers you a percentage of gross or net, that's icing on the cake. If you are supplying subcontracted services, I'd get 50% up front and 50% night of show, and don't release tapes or recordings until you're paid in full.

However, if you are covering the major and minor expenses, putting your money at risk, and responsible for the financial success of the show see below.

Note that in either case there is a substantial copyright issue, and many musicians to cover. If you are responsible for those agreements (and you did say you were hiring musicians) you will need an entertainment lawyer's services early and often.

All expenses paid first at 5 to 15% markup. (just enough markup to cover your real cost of doing business). These might include all marketing, hall costs, ushers, security, your employees' time, everything except your time.

Split of net revenue at 15-25% to producer.

DVD/Recording sales could follow the same percentage, or zero to the producer, or a completely separate agreement. If you are indeed managing all aspects of the recording but not any post-production it might be fair to pay recording expenses out of concert income (that is, pay those expenses like other concert expenses, before revenue split), then perhaps a 5% stake in the gross revenue less cost of goods sold (replication costs) on recording sales.

If you're doing the post, the marketing, the distribution on the recordings then maybe 50% after expenses? Depending on the scale of the production and how much you're putting in to it, maybe more.

In my humble opinion if you are taking this on, the money needs to come to you first for the expenses and the splits. If it doesn't, walk away.

All artist agreements in iron-clad writing. All major expenses (hall) by written estimate. All expenses by invoice and check only - no cash!

A caution to you - lessons in the world of promoting can be very expensive. Lots of ways to lose money in this. Don't forget to fill the seats, this is really the number one job.

Return to posts index

Peter HitchcockRe: Advice on Producing Concert
by on Dec 18, 2005 at 6:16:02 pm

Clear it with the Union.
Good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved