BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

FCC endorses "personalized Cable TV"

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter BiscardiFCC endorses "personalized Cable TV"
by on Nov 30, 2005 at 12:31:53 pm

Well this is a very interesting development for all of us in the industry. The FCC is poised to allow consumers the ability to choose their cable channels "ala carte" rather than in whatever bundle the Cable operators provides. If this goes through and goes into practice, it will be interesting to see how this affects many channels. Viewership which is already low on many channels could dry up altogether if enough folks "turn off" that channel in their homes.

Here's the full article in todays Atlanta Journal Constitution

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/1105/30cable.html

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

"The Rough Cut," an original short film premiering December 7th in full High Definition in Atlanta.
rsvp@biscardicreative.com to reserve seats.
http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

Now editing "Good Eats" in HD for the Food Network

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Frank OttoRe: FCC endorses "personalized Cable TV"
by on Nov 30, 2005 at 7:30:41 pm

Once again, the FCC is getting involved in marketplace issues rather than doing their job which is to maintain the spectrum use and develop and adopt technolgies.

This smacks of cable operators in the guise of consumer protection, trying to beat back the programmers (example: Disney and the multiple Disney channels with the ol' you want ESPN you got to take Cartoon Disney/Jetix on the second tier.)and using the same old whine about the sat ops not having to be regulated.

The ultimate goal of the cable companies has been to eliminate "must carry" and this could open that door very wide.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Walter BiscardiRe: FCC endorses "personalized Cable TV"
by on Nov 30, 2005 at 7:43:24 pm

[Frank Otto] "The ultimate goal of the cable companies has been to eliminate "must carry" and this could open that door very wide."

Yeah, but that applies more to locals and whether or not they have to carry multiple signals from a local if they multi-cast. I could see it causing some headaches for the cable op's in that you'll need to pretty much carry everything under the sun so folks can buy what they want to watch.

My big question is, "How is this going to save consumers money?" Seems to me this will cost a lot more to implement and of course the costs will be passed down to the consumer.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

"The Rough Cut," an original short film premiering December 7th in full High Definition in Atlanta.
rsvp@biscardicreative.com to reserve seats.
http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

Now editing "Good Eats" in HD for the Food Network

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Frank OttoRe: FCC endorses "personalized Cable TV"
by on Nov 30, 2005 at 11:56:55 pm

As anyone who has ever eaten in a restaurant knows, ala carte is more expensive. Couple that with congressional mandates for must carry and subsidies to the economically disadvantaged, I pretty much can assume that I'm goning to spend more for content.

And the smokescreen about this is to better enable our families more access to "quality children's programming" along with the aid parents so desperately need to protect our children from smut....the Honorable gentleman from Alaska has jumped on to this to tie it to his bill for more govenmental control of content (read censorship)

Methinks our congressional leaders need to get away from Capitol Hill and camp out in a few school yars - take a listen to the vocabulary of our 5-6-7-8 year olds... I think it's a bit too late to protect their precious ears.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: FCC endorses "personalized Cable TV"
by on Dec 1, 2005 at 4:13:15 am

Isn't it about choice? If you want the four "biggie" netoworks and ESPN you can buy it that way. And pay less than the Basic Cable package. But, if you want, you can still buy the package deals if you want. I understand that they just want viewers to only buy what they want, even if it costs more. But the packages will, and probably always will, exist. I see it as a win for consumers, and possibly the cable companies, except their billing systems will have to add a new level of complexity.

In the Charter tiers, there is a Family Programming package that has several NickJr kids channels, Noggin' etc, but also has a bunch of lame extra news channels I never watch. Would have been nice to have an option just to pick up the two kids channels my kids watch than to have to choose a package I don't want.

They might even cut the cost on their packages to keep viewers buying them. Wouldn't bother me at all. : )

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]