BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

stock footage licensing info..please!

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pixel8ted
stock footage licensing info..please!
on Oct 30, 2005 at 3:34:55 pm

Hi guys,

I am planning to sell some stock footage online thru my own website, mostly motion graphics stuff, could some one tell me if it is enough to enclose a licence agreement text along with the product sold (either downloadable or on dvd ) to enforce the licensing terms, apart from also having the same licence agreement on my site.

please do give your opinions, if I have missed something.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Arniepix
Re: stock footage licensing info..please!
on Oct 30, 2005 at 6:28:52 pm

You really, really, really need to speak to an experienced copyright lawyer about this kind of thing. And while you're at it, you might want to have them draw up the license.

Arnie

http://www.arniepix.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 1, 2005 at 4:54:15 pm

I disagree with Arnie. The one thing I've learned in twenty-nime years of business as an independent is that lawyers don't have all the answers, but they do want all your money.

All you have to do in this case is obtain a license agreement from one of the companies already doing business in that arena, and just tailor their license to your needs. A lawyer would do exactly the same thing. The most important words in a stock footage agreement, and the words you absolutely have to put in for self-protection, are "for use in _______________ (program title) for one time use, only." In theory, this prevents the licensee, from incorporating the lisensor's footage into additional programs. It will happen anyway from time to time, and you must be on the lookout for your stuff and remain vigilant. For the most part, like anyone in sales, your job is to fulfill a need, and get their money in your coffers before they go to the next seller. What happens after the sale is a bit out of your control no matter how ironclad your license may be.

DRW

Return to posts index

pixel8ted
on Nov 2, 2005 at 3:59:40 am

great info! thanks a lot!!

Return to posts index

pixel8ted
on Nov 2, 2005 at 4:43:52 am

Hey David! thanks again!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 2, 2005 at 6:47:52 am

Glad to help... Thanks for your acknowledgement...

DRW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]