BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Shooting Stock Footage

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcelo Lewin
Shooting Stock Footage
on Oct 20, 2005 at 6:08:28 am

I want to shoot some stock footage that I would like to sell. Specifically, I live by LAX and there is a perfect location to film lots of airplanes landing. I'd like to sell those shots I take. What are the limitations of what I can show on the video? Do I need to get permission? If I show airline names, can I still sell the footage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Marcelo Lewin
marcelo@thedailyfarce.com
http://www.thedailyfarce.com/

Return to posts index

Perch
Re: Shooting Stock Footage
on Oct 20, 2005 at 9:07:02 pm

Here's an article that may help get you going.
http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomonthly/searchlist/5219.html
TC

Return to posts index

Marcelo Lewin
on Oct 21, 2005 at 3:50:30 am

Thank you!

Marcelo Lewin
marcelo@thedailyfarce.com
http://www.thedailyfarce.com/

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Oct 21, 2005 at 3:09:06 pm

[Marcelo Lewin] "want to shoot some stock footage that I would like to sell. Specifically, I live by LAX and there is a perfect location to film lots of airplanes landing.

You probably already know this, but when filming stock footage, transfers to video will look much nicer if you originate on 35mm instead of 16mm film.

The other thing you have to ask yourself before you go the expense of shooting that much 35mm footage of airplanes landing is... Is there already a huge stock library of airplanes landing available?
And what would make someone buy my footage instead of their footage?

Return to posts index

alex
by
on Oct 21, 2005 at 7:47:52 pm

I looked into this myself a year or so ago. I tried to work with one of the respected agencies, and they "agreed to take me on" but were unable to provide any sales projections, even rough ones, for any of the projects we discussed, so I ended up never doing it.... I din't want to front the money without knowing I had a chance to get it back. In the end I decided it was a no go.

However, I learned quite a bit... In particular, if you want to sell stock through an agency, you need to have every detail covered, and I mebna COVERED. This means LOCATION RELEASES, TALENT RELEASES, ETC. If you take a pricture of an airplane, they are going to want you tha have a release from US AIR and LAX, unless it is a completely generic shot. And believe me, my and your idea of generic is VERY different from theirs. They vetoed some shots of cars I had because they said you could just kind of make out the people inside...( I assure you, you could not make out the people inside).

Anyway, that's what I know... good luck.

And PS, they probably don't need shots of airplanes. If it's nearby and easy, it's already been done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]