BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Finding the Passing Grade (and the check) By Avoiding ''Me'' Presentations

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron LindeboomFinding the Passing Grade (and the check) By Avoiding ''Me'' Presentations
by on Oct 15, 2005 at 5:10:08 pm

Hi All,

Down below in the recent "client mailer" thread, Martin brought up a key defining point in any successful presentation. It doesn't matter if it's a print piece or a demo reel or a dreaded cold call, the principle is the same...

Many will build their pitch around them, their great "stuff" and what they do and it doesn't matter if you mail out hundreds or thousands of pieces, show your demo reel repeatedly, or make many sales calls -- the results will often be the same... Nothing. Nada. Kaput. Zilch. The Big Goose Egg. No sheckels fer Mama.

Why?

Martin brings up a great point and I have moved it here at the top of the forum as I am not sure that many will dig back past the first few threads. His point is stated in: [MARTIN] "I am your prospect. How is your company going to be of immediate enough benefit to me to get me to pick up the phone? You do a lot of things but maybe you do so many, you don't do any one thing well. Give me a reason to call you NOW. Give me a limited time offer. Give me fonts I can read. And since I am in a hurry, a few words is better. You can tell me all about you later. Tell me about me. That's who I care about. How are you going to make my life easier?"

It is not about "you." They really do not care what equipment you have or what school you have been to or haven't. They are listening for someone who can talk to them about them. Their needs. Their concerns. Their goals. To be quite honest about it, they are simply too self-focused to give one twit of crap about you and why you think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They know about them -- you, they are not so sure of.

When you build a company, you are really building a service business. It doesn't matter if you are building tangible or intangible products, you are still in a service business. You are serving the needs of others and as I learned in Sunday School long ago, "He who would be greatest among you must be the servant of all." Good advice that's been around for a while, I think. ;o)

I always chuckle when new businesspeople tell me they went into business to be their own boss -- it is comical. I have to respond, usually saying something like: "Are you kidding? I gave up one boss only to end up with everyone being my boss."

Why?

If you do not learn that you are getting paid well to serve others' ideas, needs and concerns, you will never get paid well. You are really not your own boss. You are in business to listen to them, learn about them and deliver a product or a service that so meets their needs that they cannot help but pull out their checkbook and make you part of their team -- this, for being so brilliant that you recognize how incredibly freakin' brilliant they are. ;o)

Or you can continue making presentations, ads, demo reels and other things that talk and talk about you... but never seem to get you any business.

And as Martin also says, when you succeed in positioning yourself in relation to who they are and what they want, ask for the order and give them a compelling reason to order today.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Seth BloombaumRe: Finding the Passing Grade (and the check) By Avoiding ''Me'' Presentations
by on Oct 16, 2005 at 6:24:10 pm

Ron, thanks for pulling out that thread and developing it further.

I had the good fortune of working on a multimedia project repurposing content from a nationally-known sales training and motivation speaker a few years ago.

As he put it: "Prospects ALWAYS listen to one radio station, WIIFM, or, 'What's in it for ME?'"

Every time you state a feature, follow it with a benefit to the prospect, in simple language such as "(feature), the benefit to you is..."

For example:

"Our editing is all done in Final Cut Pro! The benefit to you is a very creative production made more quickly at a lower cost."

"If you step up to our 'A' sound package your audience will be able to hear everything that went into the production."

"We could also put this video up on your web site, the benefit to you is that your resellers could receive this training whenever and wherever they want it."

SB

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Finding the Passing Grade (and the check) By Avoiding ''Me'' Presentations
by on Oct 22, 2005 at 4:14:29 pm

[Seth Bloombaum] ""If you step up to our 'A' sound package your audience will be able to hear everything that went into the production.""

So Seth, does this mean that if we use the "B" sound package maybe we'll just hear the good stuff that went into the production???

Return to posts index

Seth BloombaumRe: Finding the Passing Grade (and the check) By Avoiding ''Me'' Presentations
by on Oct 22, 2005 at 4:37:04 pm

...if we use the "B" sound package maybe we'll just hear the good stuff that went into the production???

Hah! Maybe yes, maybe no! Unlike, say, editing there are no magic boxes in playback for an audience that cost less, weigh less, take less time to set up, use less power, yet sound better. (maybe there will be? let me know so I can unload my equipment fast!)

On a more serious note, if I bring my "A" system the benefit to you is your audience will hear the low end and the sound fidelity will be more linear and uniform across all audience seating positions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]