BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

a matter of business organization

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chrisa matter of business organization
by on Oct 6, 2005 at 5:37:56 pm

From a business standpoint how many use a Dayplanner or paper method to keep things organized or do you use a PDA and if so which one. I have been going back and forth for awhile now on which to use. Problem is I keep reading how alot of PDA's just die after a short (sometimes very short) period of time.

Return to posts index

Timothy AllenRe: a matter of business organization
by on Oct 6, 2005 at 11:17:26 pm

I tried using a PDA (Tungsten E actually). Then I tried using the replacement one I got after the first one failed on me during a production meeting. Never again. It's just not resilient enough for me.

I have a production calendar made in Excel on my laptop and desktop, so others can reference it, but I print out the spreadsheets regularly and put them in my planner. That paper-based Franklin Planner is what I take with me and it's what I ultimately rely on. It NEVER crashes.

(By the way, I have a Tungsten E PDA for sale cheap if anyone can figure out how to get it to take a charge and start working again.)

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: a matter of business organization
by on Oct 7, 2005 at 1:03:10 am

I write the stuff down and enter it into Outlook and sync it with my cel phone.

We also have a company yahoo address where we all have a passwword for access and keep a joint calendar so we can keep the schedule from wherever we well as keep projects logged in the notes section.

I used Palm Pilots for a bit...just didn't last. I keep a little pocket calendar with me for old-school scheduling.

Kolb Syverson Communications,
Creative Cow Host,
2004-2005 NAB Post Production Conference
Premiere Pro Technical Chair,
Author, "The Easy Guide to Premiere Pro"
"Premiere Pro Fast Track DVD Series"

Return to posts index

ChrisRe: a matter of business organization
by on Oct 7, 2005 at 4:47:48 am

Kinda funny as I did have an older Palm which the batteries didn't last at all. I figured the new ones would be better but from what I have been reading they don't last at all. I'm afraid I have read quite a few on the Tungston E with the same problem. Well I guess its back to paper and XCel.

Return to posts index

debeRe: a matter of business organization
by on Oct 9, 2005 at 5:24:07 pm

I've had a Tungsten T for three (or is it four?) years. It's been a champ! It died once when I first got it, and took all the data with it, but a firmware upgrade fixed that so it now shuts off before all power is lost so it doesn't lose data. I sync it frequently, though, so didn't actually lose all my data, anyhow.

I sync it with iCal and Address Book, and now my iPod. It's been a great thing. Before that I had I used a daily calendar for three years. Not a dayplanner, 'cos I don't plan parts of my day, I plan whole days, usually. I honestly didn't think I'd like the Palm. It was a surprise from my husband. I resisted it for the first few months. But when my schedule started hopping that first year, it was great to have!

The only problem I've had with it is recently my battery started to not hold as good of a charge, so instead of replacing the battery after so many years like a smart person would, I listened to someone else's suggestion of doing a hard reset and seeing if the reset would "coax" the battery into holding the charge better. It was only then I found out that my backup file was corrupt. I had to fish through it to find the bad piece of data, but all is well now! Since the corruption came from the backup file on my Mac, I can't really blame Palm for that.

Just wanted you to hear from someone who's had a positive experience! I even have a copy of my demo reel on it! It actually helped me get two new clients!

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschFranklin Panner for me too
by on Oct 11, 2005 at 2:39:31 am

i've been using it for 5 years now since I started my company. I have every logged hour on every darn job I've done in there...makes putting together an estimate a breeze.

I too have been wondering if I need another gadget. Glad I have the leather has been good to me!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved