BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Appropriate pricing

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben AndersonAppropriate pricing
by on Sep 20, 2005 at 6:46:15 pm

Im one of a group of college students in the Uk who have decided to start up a small web/graphic design service in our local area, we are doing this for fun, experience, help with college work and maybe even make some money.

Unfortunately we have no experience doing this proffesionally and we already have two jobs before we are really ready to take them on.

Im looking for advice on pricing for our services, we are offering website design and production, to a high standard,(using Html, Php and CSS)and will obviously be offering this service at a low price.

Does anybody have any knowledge of proffesional web design who could give me some guiding of both proffesional pricing for various services and/or Pricing which they think would be appropriate for our circumstances?

Return to posts index

Seth BloombaumRe: Appropriate pricing
by on Sep 21, 2005 at 3:48:56 pm

Well, there are two general approaches - hourly pricing and market pricing.

Market pricing - you know the market, the worth of a project to a client, what competitors would likely estimate, and you *come up with a price*. (*indicates some magic happens here.) Unlikely that you are ready for market pricing, it's mostly used where creative provides strategic value to client, where you are providing solutions for client needs, not just web design/production. I think a sense of market pricing will only come with more experience.

Hourly pricing is for design/production. In the Northwest region of the US, pure html layout has become one of the lowest-earning specialties in corporate production, USD $25-45/hr. CSS is falling there too. PHP/ASP/CF SQL etc. maybe $50-70, design maybe $50-90, architecture/creative director etc. maybe $70-140. May be different in your area. My understanding is that the NW is one of the less expensive regions of the US. (these are production company to agency or client rates)

So, you need to find out the scope of work, approximate size of the site, what design values will appeal to the client and their audience or customers or prospects, what your client will provide, and estimate hours from there. If you've sufficient trust with your client to do the work on a time and materials basis (you agree that cost to client will be based on actual hours and expenses) that can be very helpful as you develop a sense of what it takes.

Return to posts index

Ben AndersonRe: Appropriate pricing
by on Sep 22, 2005 at 2:57:29 pm

That was exactly what i was looking for, many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved