BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Thoughts on T.V. advertising

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mccaincowThoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Aug 30, 2005 at 4:40:49 pm

Part of my business is producing high end wedding videos. A new T.V. show dedicated to getting married in atlanta is premering next year. They are selling sponsorhips and ads on their show, which if booked soon, also include a feature on your company on the show. I am not sure about the legalities or ethics of posting the pricing for each so I wont go into that. However I am considering Sponsoring a segment and producing an ad showing the quality I put into my productions. Does anyone have any thoughts about the wisdom of T.V. advertising to this niche? To sponsor one segment would be as much as my wedding packages, so I would have to book several weddings from that one show to make it worth my while. Am I better off booking time on one show (this is what i can afford) or just forgo the idea altogehter. Your thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Aug 30, 2005 at 5:01:01 pm

There is another factor to consider in all this that you haven't alluded to in this: If you do this, you can then record the show and burn it to DVD for hand-outs to your clients. As a calling card, this is pretty formidable ammunition when dealing with brides and their moms who are the decision makers here. A strong presentation on this front will likely be a calling card that will give you a serious leg-up* on your competitors.

I do not have any idea what kind of business you would do directly from the show but I do know that the perceived value of having a third-party presentation like this would get me a lot of jobs were I in that market...

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

* Ever wondered where the term "to get a leg up" on something or somebody, came from? Well, let's just say that dogs like to get a leg-up on a fire hydrant and leave it at that...

Return to posts index

Seth BloombaumRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Aug 31, 2005 at 2:25:02 am

Ditto what Ron wrote, points very well taken.

Disclaimer - I've never done a wedding video... but, I've spent some money in advertising, and helped clients spend a lot more.

Seems to me that this opportunity is tailor-made for you - IF they have decent qualified viewership. Think about this; if 2000 brides see the segment, 5% call, and 1% close that's 20 bookings. (what is your leads to closes ratio? better or worse than 5:1?)

Does this show have market research to share with advertisers? Any "success" indicators from other advertisers? Ask them - it's their job to sell you on advertising with them. If they've solid answers on these questions, and can refer you to successful advertisers, and it smells right IMHO you should do it.

Something frequently forgotten in an advertisement: Close with a clear call to action. "Call 800-555-2000 today for an exclusive free package upgrade just for viewers of Weddings Today" "Visit our website at to see our work and learn more about our packages" Ask for whatever it is that you want viewers to do.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Aug 31, 2005 at 2:16:42 pm

Premeire where, local cable? Network? Syndication? His mom's basement? If it's local, then it smells like a scam to self-fund a pilot show on spec. If you go for this, don't pay until there's a complete show in the can at least. There's also the video equivalent of a "vanity press". Pat Summerall has a famous bit where he does a semi-canned "profile" on a corporation including it's CEO. The bits get flogged on some cable news channel. It's basically paid advertorial, IMO.

But let's say it's legit. If you advertise in the show, are you going to ever use uncleared copyrighted music? Because the exposure is practically going to guarantee you some lawyer is going to see your work. If you're using uncleared pop songs in your videos, you will be practically asking the music companies to look up your (censored) with a microscope, as everybody will assume you are rolling in the dough if you can advertise on a show like this.
Just saying, before you bring on the scrutiny, be sure you can stand up to it.

Return to posts index

mccaincowRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Aug 31, 2005 at 2:52:29 pm

Thanks for the insights. The show is on PAX, sunday night at 6:30, and hosted by a local celebrity. I watched the pilot last night, and it provides useful information for brides etc. However it does have a "feeling" of paid advertising from all who are featured, I guess this is essentially what this is. I am not sure if the auidence will pick up on this or not. I think it would be good to have the segment to have on a demo reel. They have offered to put me on the segment "Ask the expert" where the viewer emails a question about wedding video for example, and they would have me answer the question then roll directly into my commercial. Im not sure how many hits I would get from the actual show but the credibility on demo reels could be good.

I would certainly NOT use copyrighted music in the commercial! However thanks for the heads up, that suggestion is very useful.

Return to posts index

mccaincowRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Aug 31, 2005 at 2:56:32 pm

Here is a link to the show

Return to posts index

by on Aug 31, 2005 at 4:49:24 pm

[mccaincow] "However it does have a "feeling" of paid advertising from all who are featured."

To quote that Chef Paul guy: "I will gar-own-tee" that it is paid advertorial production. No doubt about it.

But that does not take away from the value that you can make of it and there is a reason that Pat Summerall's advertorials for businesses air year after year. They work. If they didn't make the companies money who are in them, the show would have ceased long ago.

I do not care on twit if the show just started or has been on for years, if you can get a copy of it and compress it to DVD -- you have a calling card far beyond that of your local competitors.

Nearly always in every deal, there is a buyer and a decision maker. They are not always the same person -- they may be, but don't hold your breath waiting for that, as they often are not the same person. In wedding video, the buyer (the one writing the check) may be the mother or the father of the bride and the decision maker (the one getting their way and deciding who they are going to work with) may be the bride. In any case, if I were the one in your shoes, like Chef Paul sez "I gar-own-tee" that I could turn a DVD calling card of my company on their show, Pat Summerall's or anyone else's for that matter -- into money.

Is it paid advertorial? -- it better be. I sure wouldn't do it for free and I doubt that many here would either. And just as I wouldn't work for free, I sure would understand the value of anyone else who is going to hand me a product that I can turn into cash by using it.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Sep 2, 2005 at 4:29:52 am

[Ron Lindeboom] "To quote that Chef Paul guy: "I will gar-own-tee""

Ron, the Cajun fellow who used to say, "I GARONTEE !!!!!!!," was actually comedian and chef Justin Wilson, not New Orleans Chef Paul Prudome. See

You can't fool this New Orleans boy. And yes, we will rebuild...

Return to posts index

ChuckRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Sep 9, 2005 at 2:12:32 pm

This looks like a good opportunity for you. What the other people wrote have very good points. If you were considering purchasing just a regular :30 spot, I would have you think twice. Because of the cost involved, and your business being such niche market. Might be hard to reach your clientell. That said, this show could work out well for you, having a 2 to 4 min segment is far better in aquainting perspective clients to your services, the only thing I would worry about is when and where is this going to be shown? Having this program show at 2am, or after a infomercial may not be the best way for you to reach your demo. Whoever is in charge of selling this should have Nielson numbers for you to look at. My other question for you is this for broadcast or cable? While I am not an expert in the marketing end of things, cable while very effective for certain types of advertising, has a limited subscribership and with all the other competing channels involved is far more diluted. Broadcast TV might be your better bet assuming you have a good lead-in/lead-out.

Return to posts index

MARTINRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Sep 10, 2005 at 4:54:49 am

Before you go looking for new business, why not be certain you have fully marketed your services to your past and present customers. Are every one of them "Raving Fans?" If not, what would make them so? Are you in touch with everyone in your data base at least once every three months? If not, you will be spending more money to acquire less jobs regardless of any other form of marketing you choose.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 10, 2005 at 5:25:01 pm

Great point, Martin.

I once was very good friends with the top manager in the JCPenny chain and he once told me that they did a study in JCPenny Company that showed that it takes six-times the money and effort to win a new customer as it does to make a subsequent sale to an existing customer.

He was a great guy and I learned a lot of things from him.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Jeffrey F. KrepnerRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Sep 12, 2005 at 8:01:25 pm

Ron, your friend reminded me of this quote from this site:

Not to plug that site, but has some funny stuff that should hang in every production office, period.

Return to posts index

Mike SchrengohstRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Sep 23, 2005 at 2:14:53 am

How much money are we talking about? $400, $4000, $40,000???

Return to posts index

foleyvideoRe: Thoughts on T.V. advertising
by on Oct 15, 2005 at 8:15:30 pm

My two cents worth on this:

In the early days of my business I did a number of wedding vids just to put bread on the table while the real focus of my company heated up. What I learned is that people who are going to get married (specifically brides -- as un "PC" as that sounds) will watch, listen to or read ANYTHING regarding weddings. It's a ebola-strength fever that sweeps over them for a few months. In the case of my own wife, this quest for wedding knowledge became an obsession. Ahem -- but I digress.

My point -- if advertising on that wedding show is reasonable -- do it. Brides will watch it. Grooms will probably watch it too if it doesn't conflict with the game. And remember -- you will NEVER know exactly how many folks tune in to that program. Ratings just can't give you an accurate head count. The sampling might be the wrong demographic for you, but I know for a fact SOMEBODY will watch that show and see your business advertised.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved