BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

cross post: - estimate for a corp video

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
duffbeer911
cross post: - estimate for a corp video
on Aug 19, 2005 at 5:13:09 am

Hi guys,
I stuck this in the corporate video thread also. You can delete one of the posts if this not allowed.

Anyways, I'm mainly an After Effects designer making 30sec spots, but have been requested to quote for a corporate video. I have no idea where to start with pricing. All I know so far is they had a camera op for 5 days. Probably very basic miniDV without lighting or anything.

If they want a 10minute simple cut with no effects, just a few titles...what sort of figures are we looking at? like AU$1000...AU$5000???....AU$10,000. I have no idea.

I know the usual response....hours worked x hourly rate = ??? but I would like to know a ballpark figure that others would charge.

Any advice would be great....like how much have you charged in the past?

Thanks heaps.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
Re: cross post: - estimate for a corp video
on Aug 19, 2005 at 3:07:31 pm

Not enough information.
How long is the video. What is involved with audio, is it a narrative track? Sound bites? Is there a script already written you can look over? Was video shot to the script, or was it run and gun shooting? How many dubs will be needed at the end? What kind of music needed and is it licensed? What kind of graphics and are you responsible for creating them?

And that is just a sample of the questions needing answers, not all of them.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: cross post: - estimate for a corp video
on Aug 19, 2005 at 6:32:20 pm

[Charlie King] "Not enough information.
How long is the video. What is involved with audio, is it a narrative track? Sound bites? Is there a script already written you can look over? Was video shot to the script, or was it run and gun shooting? How many dubs will be needed at the end? What kind of music needed and is it licensed? What kind of graphics and are you responsible for creating them?

And that is just a sample of the questions needing answers, not all of them"

Absolutely. They need a ten minute show...how much footage is there? an hour?...ten hours? Has the client logged what was a good "take?" If you haven't been involved with the production before this, how will you know when the person on camera used the proper technique?

Is is narration or sound bytes or both? How good was the mic placement if there was on-camera...are you fixing audio then? Can it be fixed to the client's satisfaction?

I think overall you may be shooting in the dark on this one anyway if you're a short-form AE guy, there's no long-form editing track record. You'll be making workflow efficiency discoveries once you're in the middle of it. In the end the biggest unknown is probably going to be you...

I might get something that seems practical to both sides down and log your time for the next similar opportunity that comes your way.

TimK,

Kolb Syverson Communications,
Creative Cow Host,
2004-2005 NAB Post Production Conference
Premiere Pro Technical Chair,
Author, "The Easy Guide to Premiere Pro" http://www.focalpress.com
"Premiere Pro Fast Track DVD Series" http://www.classondemand.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]