BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

selling online..want some help here please!!

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pixel8tedselling online..want some help here please!!
by on Aug 4, 2005 at 3:28:06 pm

I am a motion graphic artist and I have a collection of motion backgrounds
which I have thought of selling online..

But some of those backgrounds contain images generated from stock 3d models I had purchsed earlier, would it be ok to sell such such content ?

please do let me know what u guys think?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: selling online..want some help here please!!
by on Aug 5, 2005 at 3:24:52 pm

I have been waiting a bit to see how others handle this but it seems that no one wants to open a can of worms and so I guess I'll give it a try...

*Usually* and the operative word here is "usually" as long as you are not seeing the images/models themselves but they are included within a greater project or product, it is okay to sell them. But, that said, you will want to check your license rights from the image libraries/model libraries you own and verify that under your specific circumstances that is okay.

I tend to think that you would be okay but do double check and remember: I am no lawyer and I am NOT telling you that this is okay and I warn you that I am no substitute for sound legal counsel and a little reading of license rights as expressed within the grant of license you received with your models.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

pixel8tedRe: selling online..want some help here please!!
by on Aug 6, 2005 at 1:33:07 pm

Hi Ron,

Thanks for replying.

I checked the licence agreement.."No contents of this Dvd may be resold,redistributed,or reproduced in any format ..." :(

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: selling online..want some help here please!!
by on Aug 6, 2005 at 3:52:59 pm

Hi Jason,

I think that you may be misreading or misinterpreting what those words mean...

You may wish to write their licensing department and ask in regards to your specific situation because you are NOT selling the contents of the disc. If you were selling the models, then *that* would fall under the terms and conditions of the licensing agreement. But to use the models as a basis upon which you add textures and colors, etc., and then light these objects and place into images which are then sold to the public -- I tend to believe that that will be okay.

But again, do check with the licensing department of the company that you bought from, as I am shooting in the dark here as I do not know whose models you are speaking of and under what terms they license them. Therefore, I cannot assure you that my thoughts are correct. My point is simply this: Double-check with the source.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: selling online..want some help here please!!
by on Aug 6, 2005 at 11:09:32 pm

Ron's right about consulting a lawyer (hurrah, you've already "lost" -- some money to the lawyer -- but it may be worthwhile). But what you are doing is sort of like collage, and perhaps you're making even more transformations than a collage artist.

I don't know the legal principles behind collage work. But I doubt that the Monty Python animations, and similar work based on cutouts from magazines, were legally "permitted." Or, for that matter, art works that are made up of newspaper headlines, etc.

There are so many laws and rights running around -- but generally they won't be litigated unless someone sees a financial reward at the end. That said, companies like Disney zealously protect their copyrights to an absurd degree.

So, imho it's a combination of what is legal, and what is practical. I'm no lawyer! In your case, I would contact the seller of the work, and get their okay.

-- BC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]