BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

COW Tutorials: Business & Marketing Dealing with Control Freaks

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
COW Articles
COW Tutorials: Business & Marketing Dealing with Control Freaks
on Jul 29, 2005 at 6:41:35 pm

Dealing with Control Freaks

In this article, Creative Cow's Ron Lindeboom looks at dealing successfully with clients who will not let you get a word in edgewise, don't listen to you when you do speak and interrupt you in mid-sentence and refuse to compromise on any point. They also do not remember a word you said and would sometimes even rather spend a bunch of money in court than pay you what is honestly due you. If you recognize any of these traits, chances are you have a ''control freak'' on the line. Here are some tips on dealing with them...

Business & Marketing Tips

Click on the link above to view this latest article in our Business Tips Series.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
Creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Andrew Kramer
Re: COW Tutorials: Business & Marketing Dealing with Control Freaks
on Jul 29, 2005 at 9:19:59 pm

Great Article,
I know the type. ;)

Andrew

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jul 31, 2005 at 12:34:39 am

[Andrew Kramer] "Great Article, I know the type. ;)"

Yes, and I apologize for the tenor of our first meeting, Andrew. Sometimes, all it takes is a mirror and a little introspection to learn some things that are quite valuable -- maybe not always pleasant, but always valuable.

;o)

Have fun,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

mike harper
on Jul 31, 2005 at 1:41:22 pm

WOW great article. Awhile ago i had to deal with such an idiot. She spent 6 hours trying to pick music!!! All the while i warned her we were getting way, way behind. After we missed slot I had to pass the piece off to another person. I tried to be nice and cut my rate in half for some of the wasted time. BAD IDEA! She bad mouthed me endlessly to the production house and I never worked there again.- (thank god I guess)
It was a learning experience... not every person that can type is a producer!!

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 1, 2005 at 6:45:39 pm

[mike harper] "WOW great article. Awhile ago i had to deal with such an idiot. She spent 6 hours trying to pick music!!! All the while i warned her we were getting way, way behind. After we missed slot I had to pass the piece off to another person. I tried to be nice and cut my rate in half for some of the wasted time. BAD IDEA! She bad mouthed me endlessly to the production house and I never worked there again.- (thank god I guess)"

Hi Mike,

This is where I'd use a change order and put on it that six hours of looking for audio is not "customary" under the circumstances and that you are getting them to sign it just for good recordkeeping and to document that the project is starting to go off the rails and you do not wish the responsibility for that. One or two of those and they will get the point.

The documented bread crumb trail would give you a way to protect your good name.

It may piss them off if you give them a change order to sign but under these circumstances, they are almost always going to come out of it blaming you anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, Mike.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Aaron Strader
on Aug 2, 2005 at 3:18:26 pm

Save for wanting to sue me, this sounds exactly like a person I've dealt with.

Your article's made me completely reconsider my relationship with that client.

-Aaron

http://www.stopfcc.com/
Knock it off! I like my radio and television the way it is...

Return to posts index

James Zito
on Aug 2, 2005 at 7:17:34 pm

Interesting article. In my dealings with control freaks I also realized that if you want them to consider any of your ideas, make it somehow seem like it was their's to begin with. You also have to learn to pick your battles. I think just dealing with these people is also a good way to learn how to do business with people in general.

jim

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 4, 2005 at 3:46:31 pm

Hi James,

You are 100% right. When dealing with people like this, you ALWAYS have to offer suggestions in a way that any destination they arrive at was their idea. You can never impose your ideas on them as they see it as a threat.

Ah, humanity -- what a funny and furry little thing we are.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Sep 29, 2005 at 3:48:50 am

Both.

I'm also honest enough with myself to not be afraid to face the guy in the mirror or take slaps at people hiding behind false names, Mike Downey.

I'll leave that to you.

Bye,

(By the way, my back has healed nicely.)

Ron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]