BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Please share your thoughts on LPFM radio and the business of radio broadcasting?????

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael munkittrick
Please share your thoughts on LPFM radio and the business of radio broadcasting?????
on Jul 20, 2005 at 4:43:40 pm

Hi guys. I have been hashing over the new LPFM licensing procedures with the FCC white sheet and it looks to be a very simple process for gaining and maintaining a low power FM band radio station. I

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Please share your thoughts on LPFM radio and the business of radio broadcasting?????
on Jul 20, 2005 at 5:10:24 pm

IMHO they are not worth the trouble.
The 100 watts of power you are limited to will give you about a 3 mile broadcast radius,
and they are for non-commercial use only, so you could not sell advertising or such to make any income.

Internet broadcasting is all together a different animal.

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
Re: Please share your thoughts on LPFM radio and the business of radio broadcasting?????
on Jul 20, 2005 at 10:12:03 pm

LPFM isn't the outlet that LPTV is. LPFM was designed for local, neighborhood broadcasts, primarilly for community factions that felt they couldn't get access to commercial outlets. It was never ment to be a revnue generator. Some communities use them for council meeting notes, block warden alerts, traffic and safety issues and the like.

The limited range (even with a high antenna) is a major detriment to getting out anything more than a message to the neighborhood.

LPFM transmitters are easy to come by. A world of mil surplus radios - detuned to broadcast FM frequencies - are just some of the options. Specific low power FM transmitters are also easy to come by, many are just public service repeaters, again, retuned and in many cases attenuated in the final output.

I beleive we have two in the greater Las Vegas area - one at a community college campus for traffic and safety information and one in a lower income urban area for discussion of neighborhood issues.

As far as support, the best you can hope for is a trade-out with a local pizza guy.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 22, 2005 at 12:42:30 am

Depends where you live.

In Chicago, my college FM station, which I G.M.'d for a summer (88.7FM WLUW) was only 100 watts, but with the antenna in Rogers Park, I had a *potential* audience (people who could tune in a strong, listenable signal) in the millions. I can listen to the old place from the Loop all the way West to O'Hare airport. Shame what the Jesuits did to it: they blew a lot of endowment money with Enron, had to cut costs, and so basically gave away the Loyola radio station to the main Chicago NPR station to run. So far, it seems to be a benevolent master: WLUW's built itself quite the reputaton meanwhile for being a model of what these low-power stations can do for the community as advocate and shared communications resource.

For urban centers, LP radio could well serve a pretty densely populated area ignored by the conglomerates like ClearChannel. Very useful as a neighborhood association channel, you could also use it to break bands playing their own stuff, (so fewer licensing issues ) comedy groups and standups, radio dramas, poetry slams, high school and college debate team competition, trivia and other quiz or game shows, local school sports coverage, folks telling their personal oral histories, local officials taking constituent questions... it really boils down to the amount of work you care to dedicate to it. It's local in a way internet radio is not.

If you're living out in the boonies, then it may be a losing proposition, but for urban centers, it could be a great resource. You should go for it, because these things are often "use it or lose it" propositions- if everyone stays too intimidated to make use of the frequencies, it just encourages the big conglomerates to grab even more spectrum using their pet politicians.

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on Jul 26, 2005 at 4:15:49 pm

After reading your post, I did some research and found stipulations for support through commercial placements as an option for LPFM stations. One of the conditions was if I donated an hour per day to cultural and local issues I can recoup reasonable fees from ads to help offset any costs. The term

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]