BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

What job am I applying for?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael KellamWhat job am I applying for?
by on Jul 15, 2005 at 7:03:48 pm

Hey, all. I am a video professional about to start another job search. I have worked in production for 15 years. I have a problem in that I

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: What job am I applying for?
by on Jul 20, 2005 at 10:15:17 pm

[Michael Kellam] "I work best when I do shooting, camera and editing as a significant component of the job."

Great post, Michael. The problem is that people who would "economize" by looking for someone who could do it all probably have a tiny budget for personnel, which means the other part of your quest (avoiding working alone) might be impossible. I'd look for a rapidly-growing company which could benefit from your multiplicity of skills, while offering the possibility of your managing a larger department in the future.

As to what to call yourself, any one title could be limiting. Maybe you don't have to call yourself anything at all -- just list what you have done and express an interest in "production."

Good luck.

-- BC

Return to posts index

Frank OttoRe: What job am I applying for?
by on Jul 20, 2005 at 10:38:05 pm

[Bob Cole] "Maybe you don't have to call yourself anything at all -- just list what you have done and express an interest in "production.""

Don't think of a resume for your work...look at it as a "timeline."

I've had a near 12 page resume for a few years now. It's all well and good to have a paper record of your accompliments, skills and experience, but rather daunting when you have to explain to the standard HR type that you really have accomplished all that in a limited amounty of time...HR folks are pretty linear and we're not. They don't get that while employed by one company, you could be working for six others that year as well.

That's why I went with a yearly breakdown of the work I've done...not necessarily by employer, but by show or production title. And only of the jobs that were meaningful or gave me more training and experience.

Most jobs have a title bequeathed to the job by a manager or the person who had the job in the past - officially my job here is listed as "A-V Tech, Head of Department" - in reality, I shoot, edit, do graphic design, systems engineering, lighting and audio design. write copy, produce and direct.

I currently list my title...when pressed...as creator of content for multimedia.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: What job am I applying for?
by on Jul 21, 2005 at 12:19:11 am

[Frank Otto] "
I currently list my title...when pressed...as creator of content for multimedia."

Around here, a very creative retail real estate company, back in its heyday, had a "vice president for fun."

They knew retail!

-- BC

Return to posts index

Frank OttoRe: What job am I applying for?
by on Jul 21, 2005 at 3:04:15 pm

Hmmmm...years ago when I did the Century 21 national conventions, they introduced a guy as "The Vice President of Big Assed Fun".

It wasn't....

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Michael KellamRe: What job am I applying for?
by on Jul 22, 2005 at 2:35:29 am

Hmmm... I think I might just go with "a production position" then. I have done that in the past but was concerned about looking indecisive. (It was tempting to apply for the VP of BA fun, though!) Bob, even though I can do a lot of things, I wouldn't mind wearing fewer hats for a company that has more staff (and specialization). The one exception is that I worked 100% post for one place and I'm just not enough of a mole to stay in the dark all the time ;-)
I did change my resume quite a while back to include, but not emphasize the employer as much as the type and quality of work.
One of the things I am trying to avoid is jobs that don't pay well. Unfortunately, I have worked for several government and non-profit organizations and I have learned that "non-profit" means the employees should expect that, too! I'm going to fish in a bigger pond.
Thanks for what you said, guys. I needed an outside-my-brain view. :-)
Michael

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: What job am I applying for?
by on Jul 30, 2005 at 5:50:42 pm

The important question is what do you WANT to do? You said you have editing skills. This could take you in two different directions. With those skills you could probably put together accurate post budgets so you could be a Post Production supervisor. But having those skills could also get you into a lead editor's position, which might actually pay more and be more satisfying, depending on what you want to do. If you want to continue to be the jack of all trades, you might consider starting your own business. Find a few good freelance script writers and with your producing skills you could turn around entire projects.

Many of us have become Jack of all Trades, because our business almost requires it, except for the most focused of disciplines, like 3D animation etc. With those new skills you can position yourself in any of several paths. You have to decide which path you want. Then put a "label" on it that describes the position.

It might even be different for different companies.

But I still like the idea of starting your own business with your skill sets.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]