BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How Much to Charge to Design a Title Sequence for a Indepedent Film?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pwaszak
How Much to Charge to Design a Title Sequence for a Indepedent Film?
on Jul 6, 2005 at 9:47:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm just looking for some advice. What should I charge a client to design a graphics intensive title sequence for their film. We're going to be working at 2K size, and even though the film isn't backed by a studio yet, the producers of this film have some money to throw around . . . any estimates, or what is the industry standard?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: How Much to Charge to Design a Title Sequence for a Indepedent Film?
on Jul 9, 2005 at 8:38:15 pm

How do you price your other work?
Do you charge by the hour, how many hours will it take?
How much do you need to pay the electric bill and feed the family?

Return to posts index

David Owen
on Jul 20, 2005 at 2:27:43 pm

This is a debate for ANY service industry...

Two ways to price it:
Cost plus a margin
or
Value in the market

I would suggest doing an estimate of the hours you'd expect to put into it, multiply that by your cost+margin hourly rate and use that as your low end. Then, do your best to find something comparable in the market... (not the easiest thing to do!) and use that as your high end.

If you believe in the potential of the film, you might want to quote your low end number plus a percentage of any GROSS revenue derived from it.

If any portion is speculative, you should double it to cover the risk involved, in my opinion.

Hope you find this helpful.

Return to posts index

Saguaro
on Aug 5, 2005 at 2:24:03 pm

You are NOT going to find ANY Producer who will offer you a percentage of the GROSS receipts of their film. Not for doing the title sequence, anyway. Those points are horded and generally offered only to Lead Actors, Directors, etc.

Indie Producers are cash-poor. They just spent all their money to make the movie, and now that it's getting out of Post and they realize that they want a snappy title sequence. The Producer is going to offer you a "deferred payment". He will pay you, if he movie makes money.

First offer your day rate and see if the Producer agrees. He'll hem and haw. Next offer to take a smaller flat amount (down to the amount you'd need to cover electricity and coffee bills) plus a deferred amount, usually equal to your day rate plus some percentage to offset the risk, say +25%. The Producer will usually bite at this thinking, "heck when this gem of a movie sells, there will be plenty to go around".

I was the Line Producer/Production Manager for two Indie features last year and had to do dozens of these negotiations. What the Indie feature Producer has to offer is the resume-padding-value of feature film experience plus a small amount of cash. But that cash is jealously protected.

To illustrate, the first feature (shot on MiniDV) cost $12,000 in cash and $108,000 of deferred payments. The Production cost of the film is $120,000, but only 10% of that was cash. The second feature (shot on HD) had a production cost of $245,000, of which $105,000 was cash and the rest in deferments.

Knowing where the Producer is coming from will help make your negotiations easier. He/She may have an inflated "I'm-a-film-producer" ego and not want to admit that they really have no money. If they had the cash, they'd pay your rate, it's just so much less hassle on their part.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]