BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Parcel lost in the post

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris HuggettParcel lost in the post
by on Jun 26, 2005 at 11:54:06 pm

Hey guys

A client of mine has requested a service from me, to convert a bunch of VHS videos to DVD.

Initially a quote was done and the client wanted the products to be returned to them via regular post and paid for the regular postage charge.

I have now been informed from the client that the parcel has not yet arrived at their address.

The package itself contains nothing of interest except family holidy videos and DVDs.

I realise that registered mail should be the way to go, but the client wanted regular.

The service i provided cost them $600.

What are my rights here and what should i do?

THanks
Chris

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Parcel lost in the post
by on Jun 27, 2005 at 12:53:29 am

Chris,

While you should probably have sent the tapes via some other shipping method, the fact is, they might have been lost anyway. At best, perhaps your client might have recovered $100 or $200 bucks -- but your client would not have gotten his tapes back.

If you've already done the work and converted the VHS tapes to DVD or other digital format, you have achieved the service the client requested, and he has his valuable family keepsakes on a medium that will last virtually in perpetuity. The VHS tapes were already likely on their way out anyway, with a shelf life of only 10 years.

So, while the client may be pissed-off, that's not worth much more than your sympathy, which I'm certain you've expressed many times over. Other than that, the client shouldn't really expect to extract his frustrations out on you. If you want, you might offer him a $100 discount, but don't let him eat you alive over something that is out of your control.

Alternatively, you might offer to pay to have the issue mediated in small claims court. Any judge would take into account that you had offered a $100 discount, and you would probably be granted the balance.

Good luck...

DRW

Return to posts index

Chris HuggettRe: Parcel lost in the post
by on Jun 27, 2005 at 7:51:04 am

Hi David

I may have confused you in my haste to write my post. The VHS' and also the DVDs which i converted for him, along with all the covers and graphic design work that i have done, where in that parcel which so far, has not turned up.

I have already been paid for the job aswell.

Cheers
Chris

http://www.acclaim.tv

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Parcel lost in the post
by on Jun 27, 2005 at 9:35:21 am

Ugh!!! That's a horse of a different color. I'll have to think about that one a while...

Return to posts index

BobRe: Parcel lost in the post
by on Jun 27, 2005 at 11:12:53 am

**Assuming** you still have the DVD data, I'd burn another set of your work & re-ship. The VHS may be gone, but that's why you got the job to convert them to DVD - for safety. If you **haven't* held onto the DVD data until you knew the client was satisfied with the work, shame on you, and I'd refund the client's money.

Return to posts index

Chris HuggettRe: Parcel lost in the post
by on Jun 27, 2005 at 12:09:36 pm

i never delete footage until it has been accepted!

Return to posts index

Andy StintonRe: Parcel lost in the post
by on Jun 27, 2005 at 2:19:43 pm

If you have the footage on your computer I would make the DVD

Return to posts index

asdfRe: Parcel lost in the post
by on Jul 6, 2005 at 6:45:50 pm

If they stressed regular mail, without 'delivery confirmation' something is fishy here.

I'd offer to burn them another set for an additional reduced fee.

After all you have to be paid for your thoughtfullness on this issue.

If they say its ok we don't want to pay extra sue their a$$es.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]