BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Cost of posting series.

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
Cost of posting series.
on Jun 18, 2005 at 12:05:54 am

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could give me a ballpark figure for a series (this is for my own info, i'm not shoping out a job).
Details:
10-13 episodes.
21:26 total run time
Shot on HD primarily but also some DV, HDV.
No script, must create story out of nothing.
Sometime 25 hours of footage per show, sometimes 3
Very unorganized
No producer or director.
Deliver in DVCPRO HD and D-Beta with 4 channel discrete stereo mix
Must do own color corection
Graphics provided

Basically It would entail doing everything except shoot it.

Return to posts index

Timothy Allen
Re: Cost of posting series.
on Jun 21, 2005 at 12:34:11 am

It's still too broadly defined to really say...

Here are some questions for you...

* What about music/sfx? Is it from a stock library or is it custom for each episode?

* You said no producer or director... Someone will need to fill the role of producer (whether it's an editor or someone else) Do you mean don't include the cost of a producer in the budget estimate? Or roll that cost into a producer/director/editor role?

* Is this shot with only one camera at a time (film style)?

* What kind of audio support do you plan to have on location? (One guy with a shotgun mic and a mixer, or more than that?)

* What is the production schedule or timeline for each episode (shorter production timelines mean that it costs more- since overtime has to be considered)

* Do you have to rent any extra gear for production? (cameras, jibs, monkey costumes?)

* Do you have to rent any extra crew for production? (shooters, stunt persons, monkeys?)

* What about production insurance?

* Would production require a completion guaranty?

* What's your target distribution market(s)?

* What about promotion/marketing/distribution costs? (Or are you just wondering about production costs only?)

The answer to these questions will play into the final costs just as much as the other things you listed.

-TJA

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jun 21, 2005 at 5:03:59 am

Thanks Tim, First I don't think I stated what I am getting at very well. I would be doing all of the post work. No shooting or field work.

Answer to the ?'s:
1-Stock Music and SFX that they supply
2-In effect I handle the role of producer. The client basically signs off on it.
3-Sometimes 1 camera, sometimes 2, when 2 can sometimes there is matching TC, sometimes not.
4-No audio support. The "talent" is lav mic. Sometimes it is allright. Most of the time it is pretty bad to unusable requiring much audio work in post.
5-Post schedule is 12 days from start to finish per episode.
6-Distribution is not my concern. All I deliver is one D-Beta, one DVCPRO HD, one HDCAM, one DVD of each episode.

What I am trying to get at is factoring the above considerations. What would you guys charge per episode to post this series if you allready owned the gear to get it done with?

Thanks very much. I realized that these kind of question are a bit goofy; but I'm trying to prepare myself to bid on this project. I am currently the editor on the current season with this client as an "employee" and am thinking of proposing to do it as entirerly my own deal for next season.

Return to posts index

Charlie King
on Jun 21, 2005 at 3:47:57 pm

From what I am hearing, the swing is way too wide for a set rate per episode. The time, and time is money, can range from a few hours to many hours. How do you put a set rate on that?
I personally wouldn't even quote on it. Take it as an hourly job.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jun 21, 2005 at 9:27:18 pm

Charlie, Yeah it really is difficult to judge it. What do you think a median hourly rate for Denver, CO area would be? $50/hour?

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 21, 2005 at 11:21:37 pm

To edit/produce the shows?
More like $200 an hour.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jun 22, 2005 at 3:53:29 am

I've always thought they where grossly underpaying me.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 22, 2005 at 11:32:39 pm

So you are actually doing this job already?
What about client review and revisions?
Is there no producer for the shoots?
I'd charge $10,000 per episode.
Do you have your own editing rig? Factor in paying for that.
Based upon all the work you are talking about doing (making a bag of shiny apples out of week old applesauce), how are your results?

Do tell.

Mike

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jun 24, 2005 at 1:51:07 pm

Its an outdoor show on OLN. I am currently doing it now but my contract will be up in a few months. The work has turned out to be grossly underrepresented from what I was told at the time of the contract. Out of my naiveness I did not cover my a**. If I decide to sign up for another year I want some ammo going into negotiations. I'm thinking of proposing to do it on my own system and work entirely independently.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jun 27, 2005 at 2:12:15 pm

I'm contracted with the "produciton company" . I really don't want to work directly with OLN. I want to strictly edit the series but; way to much has been dumped on my plate this season. I'm thinking if I renegotiate my contract I want to alleviate as much of the crap as I can or get compensated for it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]