BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Trouble getting someone to sign a release form ?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ericTrouble getting someone to sign a release form ?
by on Apr 17, 2005 at 3:48:55 pm

I have a DVD title Im working on and Im planning to use about 6 songs from a local band on 6 - 40 sec. video pieces. My goal is to sell about 3000 units over 2-4 yr period. I would really like to use thier music and offered to pay 50 cents for every unit sold after 2000. Im using several diiferent people who offered thier music just for the extra publicity but I think this band really wants some kind of $ and i really like thier stuff. Used I just pay for the music rights up front - say $100 per song?

It seams like thier holding out for more cash - whats the best way to approach them one last time and seal a deal - I need these release forms sighned to continue?

Return to posts index

AlexRe: Trouble getting someone to sign a release form ?
by on Apr 17, 2005 at 5:58:05 pm

I am always wary of those kind of deals, also. This band has no idea if your accounting is going to be on the level, or if you are ever even going to sell any units past 2,000...probably most filmmakers never sell as many units as they hope to. So given that, what you are offering them is: "You might make something up to $500, sometime like 3 years from now." Not much of an offer. Be realisitic...think what you would want if you were the musicians. If I had to guess, I would say you should pay upfront a few bucks, or at least a few cents per disk sold starting at 0. It seems only fair...

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: Trouble getting someone to sign a release form ?
by on Apr 18, 2005 at 4:12:43 am

I respectfully disagree with Alex, but because of the theory, not the suggestion. Here

Return to posts index

ericRe: Trouble getting someone to sign a release form ?
by on Apr 18, 2005 at 5:21:41 pm

Thanks guys for the advice. Im producing a surf DVD so I doubt weather the folks at thier gigs will want to purchase that. I was looking for bands that just want extra publicity and everyone seems to be ok with that - except this band which I love and have already cut several pieces ready for authoring.

I can offer very little here beacuse I have no idea if I will make any money at all. Ive worked on this project for 3 years now but they can use the video pieces anyway they want for thier own promotions.
I even have have acess to put thier songs up on the local access channel here in Pasadena.

I'll just offer what I can and see what they say - if "no go" then so be it

Thanks for the advice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved