FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to reduce static in an 8 KHz/8-bit/mono wav file?

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Haley
Is there a way to reduce static in an 8 KHz/8-bit/mono wav file?
on Feb 25, 2019 at 4:36:46 am

Hi all, new to audio here and could use some help. I'm updating the hold music for our telephone system and it requires an 8 KHz/8-bit/mono wav file. I've used Audition CC to reduce the volume to -9.0 dB, I've converted to 8 KHz and mono without any problems. However, when I convert to 8-bit the quality diminishes considerably. I understand I will lose some quality, but is it supposed to be THIS bad? Is there something I'm missing here?

Original mp3: https://vocaroo.com/i/s00XydI9ayqv

8-bit wave: https://vocaroo.com/i/s10dOYN6CWGG

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Is there a way to reduce static in an 8 KHz/8-bit/mono wav file?
on Feb 25, 2019 at 7:15:35 pm

it just adds a little noise, in convert sample type, use dither gaussian and then automatic noise removal. default settings. will sound great, well, at least for 8 bit lol. if you can keep the 22khz, that's good too.

Return to posts index

Patrick Haley
on Feb 25, 2019 at 9:00:27 pm

Ok, I managed to figure this out with help from a few different threads. What I was doing was converting to an 8-bit mono file, importing the wav file, running the noise reduction and then saved again as an 8-but mono file. If the file is already 8-bit/mono, just save and match the source type. I found out the KHz doesn't really matter so I left that alone to maintain some quality. Here are my steps:

1. Import the mp3
2. Go to Edit > Convert to Sample Type. Set channels to mono, bit depth to 8-bit, enable dithering and set to gaussian
3. Capture the noise print and run noise reduction using this tutorial:

4. Export the file as a wav and choose "Same as Source for all options"

This should maintain the quality of the export and drastically decrease the noise.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 25, 2019 at 10:38:11 pm

did capture noise print noise reduction work better for you than automatic noise reduction? just curious.
a really nice trick for noise reduction is choose different FFT sizes, listen for output only in multiple passes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]