FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any formula to Increase volume evenly across tracks

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ayan Banerjee
Any formula to Increase volume evenly across tracks
on Feb 13, 2017 at 11:29:18 am
Last Edited By Ayan Banerjee on Feb 13, 2017 at 11:37:40 am

This may be a stupid question, but just want my concept cleared. Let us say for a music video there are two tracks 1) Voice (set at -15 db) and 2) Background music (set at -30 db) Now if I wish to increase the volume of the song evenly, do I add similar amount of gain to both the tracks? Like say if I want an increase of around 10 db to the song, do I make voice=-5 and music = -20 or is there another equation to it?

I will tell you why I ask this. Say hypothetically I add 100 db to both tracks. Then voice at 85 db and music at 70 db should sound pretty much at the same level. So is there a logarithmic ratio or something?

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
Re: Any formula to Increase volume evenly across tracks
on Feb 20, 2017 at 11:23:52 am

Sound is more logarithmic, so for something to perceptually appear TWICE as loud, you would have to raise it by 10dB. If you raise both sources by 10dB they'd both be twice as loud, which suggests, they'd both still have the same relationship in level...

When mixing music, or audio for film/tv, engineers would just raise certain levels together or lower them together and it always seems to preserve the relationship as well.

So I'd say there is no formula needed here.

Return to posts index

Ayan Banerjee
Re: Any formula to Increase volume evenly across tracks
on Feb 20, 2017 at 6:09:45 pm

Cool. That is just what I wanted to hear. Thanks Simon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]