FORUMS: list search recent posts

Submerging ears effect

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Galli
Submerging ears effect
on Jul 26, 2016 at 8:12:09 pm

Aloha all!

For an upcoming project, there is a scene in which we have a POV shot from a character going under in quicksand. I want to duplicate the effect that a person would hear as their ears submerge. Making the specious assumption that it's the same as a person hears when submerging under water (never having gone under in quicksand, I can't vouch for this), how would you approach this?

There's a physical sound as the water fills your ear. Then there's a progressive frequency shift. And everything just sounds... different.

I'd love to hear some suggestions!

Mahalo,
Tom G

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: Submerging ears effect
on Jul 28, 2016 at 12:55:12 pm

Try a physical effect. Mic a good quality speaker then slowly cover it with various materials, a pillow, a bean bag chair, , a bag of rice, etc., then blend in the re-recorded effect sound as the person sinks.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
Re: Submerging ears effect
on Aug 21, 2016 at 9:13:48 am

Traditionally its done with a Low Pass Filter, yell often find one on an eq.

If you engage it, the more you lower the frequency, the more you start losing the high end or those treble bits. If you start to lose intelligibility raise the frequency again.

If you felt like spending some cash, this is an easy thing to use that does the same job. Just make sure you set the Resonance to "None".

I'm all for real world physical experiments, but this is somewhat of a quick and easy thing to pull off with an eq, unless you want to try going into it in more detail. But then time does become an issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]