FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audition CS6 TImeline Lag after upgrading to El Capitan

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew HaffendenAudition CS6 TImeline Lag after upgrading to El Capitan
by on Mar 8, 2016 at 3:27:10 am

I'd been running OSX 10.7 (Lion) since 2012 and decided it was time to upgrade to El Capitan (checked compatibility, didn't see any issues mentioned). Audition CS6 ran smoothly in Lion, but in El Capitan the timeline is very laggy and ridiculously frustrating to use now. If I have the spectral frequency display open, the current selection is displayed just fine, but whenever I scroll, at first there's nothing there (all black) and then it proceeds to load. While this is loading, the playhead lags or stops in place and I can't do anything (stop the playhead, make an edit, etc.) until the frequency display loads for that section and it becomes almost unusable and my editing time becomes twice as slow at the very best. To clarify, the timeline is laggy regardless of whether the spectral frequency display is open, but the problem is well illustrated when it is open. And while the sound itself never stops playing during this timeline lag, the fact that the playhead freezes and appears all over the place makes it very difficult to see where certain pops and noises are without playing them over several times.

I should note that I am only running on 4GB of RAM (Macbook Pro, Late 2011 i5 model), but that's well within the recommended 2GB of CS6 and as I said, on Lion everything was smooth and I never had this issue. Through my frustration and doing some research, I just decided to upgrade my RAM anyway (and upgrade to an SSD while I'm at it), regardless of whether that fixes this issue since I wouldn't mind a performance enhancement, but I'm curious either way if it's just a CS6 + El Capitan issue or if perhaps upgrading my RAM might eliminate the problem? Checking the Activity Monitor shows that Audition is barely using any memory though -- usually around 200-300mb which is nothing and not much else is taking up memory elsewhere, so that doesn't scream RAM issue at all to me... I should also note that I tried uninstalling and re-installing to see if the issue persisted, and even tried the trial of CC as well, but the same problem was there too so I don't know...

Either way I did backup my entire system to Time Machine before upgrading and I'm really considering restoring it and keeping this HDD as a secondary boot drive that runs Lion (where I can run Audition without issue if that's the only solution, as well as some other older programs), and installing El Capitan on the SDD which will become my primary drive. Frustrating though since it's so hard to edit audio with it like this and I know a full restore is going to take a long time and if that gives me problems too, that will be something else...

Interested if anyone ever experienced something similar with the timeline lag or knows perhaps what might be the issue here. To clarify, I'm editing audio only in the editor, aif or wav, no video playing.

Return to posts index

Andrew HaffendenRe: Audition CS6 TImeline Lag after upgrading to El Capitan
by on Mar 9, 2016 at 7:38:52 pm

So I downgraded back to Lion via Time Machine and thankfully everything is exactly how it was and Audition is running smoothly again. Ideally I would like to move on to to El Capitan though, at least for my new SSD, so I'd still like to figure this problem out.

Return to posts index

Pavel HorgRe: Audition CS6 TImeline Lag after upgrading to El Capitan
by on Apr 6, 2016 at 11:36:04 pm

Hello! I bought a Macbook Pro 13 (2015) i5, 8gb, 2.7 and I have the exact same problem. I am very sad. You learned something new about it? Maybe this is a problem only certain models?

Return to posts index

Andrew HaffendenRe: Audition CS6 TImeline Lag after upgrading to El Capitan
by on Apr 7, 2016 at 5:04:21 am

Unfortunately I've found no solution or cause yet. I've since put the SSD (El Cap) in my Macbook and moved my HDD (Lion) to the optical bay (replacing the CD drive) so I'm running with two boot drives. I continue to use Lion to work in Audition (and Premiere) for now and until/if I find a solution. Would still love to use Audition in El Capitan though if anyone has some insight. For the record, I did upgrade to 16GB of RAM which didn't solve that issue, not that I expected it to anyway.

Return to posts index

Pavel HorgRe: Audition CS6 TImeline Lag after upgrading to El Capitan
by on Apr 7, 2016 at 3:39:45 pm

I read on this subject with El Capitan many problems at all with the sound. You have not tried to establish Yosemite?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]