FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing the master track type in Audition

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rune Jacobsen
Changing the master track type in Audition
on Feb 13, 2015 at 9:33:22 am

Hi there,

I have a podcast and do the final editing in Adobe Audition. Because I am a CC member that also does some video stuff, I have PluralEyes from Red Giant for sync. So here is the basic workflow:

- Recording: Skype conference with involved parties (usually 2 or 3 people). A Skype recording is made, and in addition, each participant makes a local high quality recording of only their own microphone.
- All local recordings are sent to me. I sync the audio with the Skype track in PluralEyes, and export a Premiere Pro project.
- I open the PP project, and export it to Audition.
- I open the project in Audition and do the editing, voice processing etc.

All this is fine, but there is one minor headache. Our podcast outputs in mono for file size considerations (we're just talking heads, stereo is kinda wasted). However, the project that PP exports for Audition has a stereo master track. I want to change this to a mono track, but I have not found a way. Right now I have to do all the editing, export a stereo master, and then import that and convert it to mono.

Is there a way to change the master track type in a multitrack in Audition CC'14?

Thanks for any insights!

--
Rune Jacobsen

Return to posts index

Rune Jacobsen
Re: Changing the master track type in Audition
on Feb 24, 2015 at 7:01:20 am

For anyone else who might stumble across this..

I have not yet found a way to change the master track type in Audition.

For my particular workflow, however, I was able to fix this by copying the synced tracks in the generated sequence in Premiere Pro, creating a new track with a mono master track, and pasting the tracks into this one.

When exporting to Audition, the output is now "mono ready".

--
Rune Jacobsen

Return to posts index

Durin Gleaves
on Mar 2, 2015 at 4:57:21 pm

I have an open feature request with the team to enable this behavior within Audition itself, but there are 2 workarounds available right now.

The first is to simply choose File > Export > Multitrack Mixdown and click the "Change" button next to "Mixdown Options." You can toggle a Mono mixdown directly from here.

As for actually changing the channelization of the session itself, this can be done manually by opening your .SESX file in a text editor. The Audition session format is just an XML file which you can edit by hand. Notably, there are two items to look for. The opening tag near the top of the file and the tag near the bottom of the track listings. Change the "audioChannelType" from "stereo" to "mono" or "fivePointOne"

<session appVersion="7.0" audioChannelType="mono" bitDepth="32" duration="12637947" sampleRate="48000">

<masterTrack automationLaneOpenState="false" id="10000" index="10" select="false" visible="true">
<trackParameters trackHeight="30" trackHue="-1.00" trackMinimized="false">
<name>Master</name>
</trackParameters>
<trackAudioParameters audioChannelType="mono" automationMode="1" monitoring="false" recordArmed="false" solo="false" soloSafe="true">

---
Durin Gleaves
Adobe Audition

Return to posts index

Rune Jacobsen
on Mar 4, 2015 at 8:23:24 pm

Hi Durin,

Thank you very much for the interesting information! I hope the feature request goes through, but since I deal with XML a lot in my day job I will handle it that way for now.

Again, thanks!

Best regards,

Rune Jacobsen

--
Rune Jacobsen

Return to posts index

Flawn Williams
on Apr 2, 2015 at 5:22:00 pm

CAUTION!

I just tried the second workaround that Durin spelled out in the previous message, opening the sesx file in Apple TextEdit and changing two instances of the word 'mono' to 'stereo'. I then saved the file in TextEdit and tried to reopen it in Audition. I got the following fatal error message:

/Users/Flawn/Desktop/Burma FOR FLAWN/A SEG_01_CopiedFiles/A SEG_FW_Mix copy.sesx
Error: The file is either corrupt or using an unsupported format
XML FATAL ERROR: (line: 5, col: 66) [ /Users/Flawn/Desktop/Burma FOR FLAWN/A SEG_01_CopiedFiles/A SEG_FW_Mix copy.sesx] attribute value expected

Now I cannot open the session. So, at the very least, proceed with caution, and try the workaround on a copy of the file before you expose yourself to losing work!

Return to posts index

Nick Coleman
on Dec 22, 2015 at 4:08:12 pm

It's likely that when you changed "mono" to "stereo", TextEdit converted the "straight quotes" surrounding the text to "smart quotes". This will throw an error, because the XML is expecting plain text characters.

Before changing the text from "mono" to "stereo" in TextEdit:

In the Toolbar, go to the menu option Edit>Substitutions and remove the Checkmark next to Smart Quotes.

That should prevent the error.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]