FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ringing tinny noise when speakign in high pitches when recording in Adobe Audition

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Haye
Ringing tinny noise when speakign in high pitches when recording in Adobe Audition
on Jan 25, 2015 at 1:53:26 pm

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help with this issue. When I record in either Adobe Audition or Adobe Premiere Pro I get this strange tinny ringing sound when recording certain high tones. See here for example (this is me humming into the mic): https://www.dropbox.com/s/aek4zscmd5ubu41/Ringing%20testing.wav?dl=0

I don't seem to get this noise when using other programs, or when testing the mic directly with the sound card (i.e. no 3rd party software program) so I don't believe it's a hardware issue.

I'm using a large diaphragm condenser mic plugged into a phantom power supply at 48v, which is plugged into the back of the sound card into the mic jack, then I have some headphones plugged into the back of the sound card into the headphones jack. The strange noise occurs both when 'listening' during a record and when not listening.

If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful!

Thanks, Simon

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Ringing tinny noise when speakign in high pitches when recording in Adobe Audition
on Jan 26, 2015 at 2:31:40 am

call me crazy but it sounds like a simple feedback from the mic hearing the soundcard. Mute the speakers.

Return to posts index

Simon Haye
Re: inging tinny noise when speakign in high pitches when recording in Adobe Audition
on Jan 26, 2015 at 8:50:40 am

Thanks for the reply. I tried muting it as well and get the same result

Return to posts index

Curtis Fritsch
Re: inging tinny noise when speakign in high pitches when recording in Adobe Audition
on Jan 26, 2015 at 9:54:25 pm

Is it possible you have an echo or reverb effect in your session? Also, what type of room are you recording in?

Return to posts index

Simon Haye
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:27:47 am

I've got a duvet behind me and a sound absorber around the front area of the mic. The strange thing is that the weird sound is present in Adobe Audition and the built-in Windows Recorder, but not in the Sound Card's configuration app, which allows you to test the mic.

I have no effects enabled in Audition. Also as this issue is occurring in Windows Sound Recorder, which doesn't have effects within it, I don't think it's an effect. Could it be that the sound card is outputting the sound incorrectly? Or adding some sort of corruption to it?

Return to posts index

Curtis Fritsch
on Jan 27, 2015 at 6:38:36 pm

I've had something similar happen when I had a small feedback loop happening from my soundcard. Is it all all possible to mute every single output your computer has, including Windows mixer? Try recording with just purely your single input and no outputs and see what that does. Also, just for the sake of being super anal, make sure the only input you have going is the mic itself.

Return to posts index

Simon Haye
on Jan 27, 2015 at 8:58:53 pm

Good idea, will give it a shot!

Return to posts index

Simon Haye
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:12:35 pm

Ok so tried that and the problem remains, however I tried a different sampling rate, 48k rather than 44.1k and the problem seems to have diminished. This could explain why I wasn't experiencing the issue with the Sound Blaster test tool, which was potentially hard coded to run at 48k, whereas in Adobe Audition I was setting it to 44.1k.

Does that make sense??

Return to posts index

billy surf martin
on May 9, 2015 at 7:23:13 pm

Hi! was this problem ever resolved (did bumping up to 48 work)? I am having the same issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]