FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need to do an EQ thing to my Audiobook??

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Camille Kleinman
Do I need to do an EQ thing to my Audiobook??
on Oct 16, 2014 at 12:54:55 am

Hi guys,

We recorded a children's story audiobook from one of my stories for Halloween. I read somewhere that one has to do an EQ to an audiobook but I don't understand about this. :(
Can someone please tell me if I need an EQ on it and how I can do it the fastest and simplest way?
I have adobe audition and used it to edit the audiobook.

Any advice appreciated!!

Thank you
Camille

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
Re: Do I need to do an EQ thing to my Audiobook??
on Oct 16, 2014 at 3:25:28 pm

Camille,

EQ is shorthand for "equalization". That means adding or subtracting various frequencies to get your audio to sound its best. The simplest form of EQ is what you may have seen (or heard) on your home stereo (not many of those around anymore) or your car stereo system. They usually have a "Bass" and "Treble" control. Adobe Audition, and pretty much any audio editing software, just expands on that and allows you to not just choose a generic bass or treble, but gives the choice of multiple bands of frequencies to raise or lower to change the sound of your audio.

OK, with all of that said, how does your audio currently sound? For someone to say "...that one has to do an EQ to an audiobook" is ridiculous. It might need it, it might not. Only your ears can tell you that. In Audition, EQ is under "Effects", then "Filter and EQ", then choose "Graphic Equalizer". There are choices for 10, 20, or 30 bands. Small changes (no more than maybe 3db in any band) are best. If you really need to make larger changes than that, then there is something seriously wrong with how it's being recorded in the first place. Since you can always "Undo", or just not save your results, I suggest applying a 30-band EQ to your file, then playing it back while moving each band of the equalizer up and down to hear how it affects your audio. That's the best way to get familiar with it.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 20, 2014 at 12:35:48 am

play some reference tones at different freqs, you'll actually be able to match up 99%. It's been done for 50 years this way.

Return to posts index

Camille Kleinman
on Oct 23, 2014 at 5:04:03 pm

Hi Rob, Thank you for your reply! I'm sorry I didn't answer you sooner, I was expecting to see an email when someone posts a reply but I didn't get any from creativecow.

Thank you for explaining it so simply, I understand it better now.
I'm relieved it doesn't sound too complex! I'll try it out right away.

Thank you again
Camille

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]