FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why use Audition for editing dialog together?

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob FreseWhy use Audition for editing dialog together?
by on Oct 8, 2014 at 4:02:39 pm

I've used Audition to clean up clips, etc, but I'm trying to understand if it works for this purpose:

I'm editing dialog for an animation. I have a ton of raw audio files that I need to turn into conversations, then export out each character's dialogue track to lip sync the characters.

I feel like I've read that people use audition for this type of editing (multitrack cutting -- not fixing sound) but I just can't see why I should use it.

If I cut together the audio in Premiere, I can easily trim, ripple, roll, etc, to get the dialogue timing just right. I can create multiple sequences, and group things together in folders.

Audition doesn't seem to have the equivalent trimming/rippling/rolling techniques (or it does -- but not with keyboard shortcuts, which is everything).

Obviously I'd rather cut together audio tracks in a DAW, but I just don't see how other people do it. It feels silly cutting just audio in Premiere, and I've heard people say exporting audio from Premiere degrades the quality significantly, but I'm just not sure what to do.

When people edit together complicated multitrack session in Audition, are they just using the mouse all the time (aka working slowly) -- there just doesn't seem to be that same focus on fine tuning timing (quickly using the keyboard) in Audition that there is Premiere.

What am I missing? I know it's something.

Return to posts index

Luis O MaymiRe: Why use Audition for editing dialog together?
by on Oct 17, 2014 at 7:50:04 am

The benefit of using Audition over Premiere is that you have many options to edit your audio. There are many audio effects you can add in Audition and you can even insert a video into a multitrack session to make cutting easier. In most of my projects I use Audition noise removal and normalising effects to greatly improve the overall quality of the audio from a video I recorded.

I also tend to work a lot faster in Premiere than I do with Audition, but the end result of the audio is worth it. I'm currently looking for ways to make my Audition workflow faster. Let's see how it goes.

The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing. – lomaymi

Return to posts index

Rob FreseRe: Why use Audition for editing dialog together?
by on Oct 20, 2014 at 6:58:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. I agree that Audition is far far far superior to Premiere for tweaking / fixing audio, but for getting a cut together of dialogue (timing wise) Audition is severely clunky and lacking. Multitrack sessions are a pain to maneuver. It's like trying to edit video in After Effects -- a waste of time. The file manager doesn't even have an option for folders. Seriously?

It seems as if Audition is intended to fix individual clips of files, and not to be used for actual audio editing. I thought they were trying to compete with ProTools? Guess not.

Return to posts index

John McClaryRe: Why use Audition for editing dialog together?
by on Dec 8, 2014 at 3:43:09 am

Audition is intended to edit audio AFTER the picture and synced audio are locked. When you decide to bring in your OMF with handles (extra unseen audio on both sides of a clip), you are able to create landscapes of audio and multitrack sessions with edits down to sample accuracy (48,000 with 48kHz audio) while syncing it to a video track. Fixing dialogue is a matter of manipulating edit points, room tone, alternate takes, and backgrounds, not editing timing. Audition is for manipulation and sweetening - but you did get it in CC for free, right?

Pro Tools doesn't edit video either. But if it's what you're looking for, buy it with an interface to get the best deal. But it's not free...

J. McClary
Productionline Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]