FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Audition CS6 workflow questions

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric WescottAdobe Audition CS6 workflow questions
by on Aug 23, 2013 at 6:20:02 am

I'm editing a film in FCP7 and obviously there are certain limitations with their audio tools so I want to do the majority of my post sound in Audition CS6 but I'm a little confused on how to do it effectively.

The majority of the work will be adjusting levels, pans, EQing on clip and track effects rack in multitrack editing mode so everything is non destructive. However, I have a few scenes where I want do so some noise reduction and you need to do that in the waveform editor which is destructive. I know the adaptive noise reduction works in multitrack mode but I find it very tedious to get decent results. So I was hoping somebody could help me figure out a decent workflow.

Method 1: Export my scenes as FCP7 XML files and import them in Audition.

The problem with this is when I do any waveform level work I'm modifying my original audio files which I would like to avoid. Is there any way to have Audition create temp files and reattach them when you modify audio in a destructive way? Say I am editing S01T01.wav can I have it automatically create a new file like S01T01-AUDITION.wav when I edit the file and replace the clip (and all instances of it) in the timeline so I never actually modify the original source files?

Also, my S01T01.wav is a multi channel wav file. FCP7 only allows a single channel per track so when I'm working in multitrack mode it's only one channel. But when I go into waveform editor I see all four channels. I only want to perform noise reduction on the problem channel but it is applying noise reduction to all four channels. Is there a way to isolate the one channel in the waveform editor so I'm not modifying a track I don't have to? If I'm selecting a silence section in one channel there is a good chance I'll be selecting dialog in another. So now I'm cleaning up a problem channel but also potentially damaging another because the noise sample and noise reduction is file wide and not applied to only one channel.

Method 2: Export my scenes as OMF files and import them in Audition

The advantage here is now any waveform level modifications are non destructive to my original files because the OMF export process duplicated all the audio files. It also fixes my issue of applying noise reduction to multiple channels because FCP makes everything mono. However, the major disadvantage is now every clip is a new file. In method one if i applied noise reduction to a file anytime I use that file again later in the sequence it's already applied any other time I use the same take again in the scene. So I might only be actually applying the noise reduction effect a few times per scene where with the OMF I have to do it every single clip which can be hundreds per scene.

The OMF method also makes a round trip back into FCP a huge headache. We're working make sure I don't start working until a scene is pictured locked but I'm sure there is going to be something we need to change later so I'd like to have a round trip workflow figured out. With the XML method I can save my session as new FCP XML give it to the editor and resume work. They won't get any of my wavform level changes but at least the audio will reconnect correctly and they should have proper levels, pans, and maybe eq. If I use the OMF method I can export as a FCP XML but now I also have to give my editor all my newly created wav files as well otherwise all the audio will be offline. Since the filenames for the audio in the OMF aren't based off the original path/names I can't just manually modify the XML to reconnect the original files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]