FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noise Removal causing Echo/Reverb

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason FooteNoise Removal causing Echo/Reverb
by on Jun 22, 2013 at 8:53:50 pm

I am trying to edit some old home movies with a whole lot of noise. I have been able to remove a lot of it using the Noise Removal effect in Adobe Auditon CS6, but I keep ending up with a very echoy, empty sound afterward. Most of the audio is vocal. I have tried using equalizers, but still feel like it has given me a pretty hollow, inside-of-a-fishtank sound.
Has anyone else experienced this, and do you have any tips for how to avoid it or work around it?
Thank you

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Noise Removal causing Echo/Reverb
by on Jul 4, 2013 at 11:35:56 pm

I haven't experienced your result, but I have found that, many times, the character of the audio is altered by removing noise, and not always in a good way. Something to try is to use the same settings you originally used - I'm guessing that you sampled the noise floor (Capture Noise Print), then removed that from the audio. Try applying it in a less aggressive manner. If I remember correctly you change the Noise Reduction setting. There's a comment in the help file which says that "excessively high noise reduction levels can sometimes cause audio to sound flanged or out-of-phase." Sounds like just what you're experiencing:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/audition/cs/using/WS58a04a822e3e501054824103898...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Paul NeumannRe: Noise Removal causing Echo/Reverb
by on Jul 5, 2013 at 2:33:05 pm

With real heavy noise reduction you'll often get that flanging/phasing result. Back off on it some and try again. Also, you may want to try adding just a touch of reverb to start fattening up what's left. Then go to EQ for any fine tuning. And always send a version to Premiere and listen to it there before you think you're done. Sometimes things get lost in the translation.

Also, try a notch filter instead of the noise reduction ones as removing a constant noise in a definable frequency can often give you much better results.

Return to posts index

Jason FooteRe: Noise Removal causing Echo/Reverb
by on Jul 7, 2013 at 1:03:07 am

Thanks a lot, Paul. I'll give those suggestions a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]