FORUMS: list search recent posts

A/D conversion: vinyl LPs into MacPro

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David J. Smolar
A/D conversion: vinyl LPs into MacPro
on May 29, 2013 at 8:57:58 pm

Hi all. Calling all audiophiles: I have a Numark turntable from a few years back that I really bought for the sole purpose of transferring my LPs onto my MacPro 2008 tower. Reached the moment of truth and have to start doing it to save space around here.

I have the turntable and a Harmon Kardon receiver, so I don't need it to be grounded. I could just find some interface to take the RCA outs from the receiver into the Mac Pro. And I had, then lost, an Elgato 250 eyetv that I successfully used to transfer ALL my old VHS tapes from VCR to Mac thru USB. I move to a new apt, cannot find the thing anywhere.

So any suggestions? I'm looking especially for solutions closer to $50-60 rather than the Elgato which was maybe $130. Should I...get an A/D converter device? Should I go thru the old receiver or get a device that has a grounding screw as well? Or should I get a PCI card of some sort with RCA inputs?

Thanx all, Dave.

David J. Smolar
Preditor
inbetweenthings.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: A/D conversion: vinyl LPs into MacPro
on May 29, 2013 at 11:12:17 pm

I assume that technically, you know what you're doing, as far as levels go, and line inputs, and all that happy stuff, so, if your Mac has an audio input, it should be a simple matter to take the output from your receiver (RCA outs), then input it to your Mac. I've had good luck in the past just purchasing a pigtail which is dual RCA (r/l channels) to 3.5mm TSR stereo jack. Double check whether your Mac has a 2.5mm or 3.5mm input jack (it might say stereo line in, or even mic in - of course the mic input would be mono, so it would merge your stereo channels - or might not even work with the stereo tsr).

Your Mac Pro should have an analog stereo mini input - check the size of the tsr, as mentioned above. Then buy an adapter - I buy all of mine from Monoprice.com - great prices - high quality:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=10...

Double check to make sure that you have the 3.5mm input before you buy the item. The jack looks to cost about 50 cents. Any decent audio software (SoundBooth, Audition, Audacity, etc.) should be capable of recording the input from the on board sound card; just spend a bit of time setting your levels for the dynamic range of the music you're recording.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Johnny Tintor
Re: A/D conversion: vinyl LPs into MacPro
on May 30, 2013 at 1:06:14 pm

For around $50 you can snag a used Roxio VHS to DVD usb capture device off eBay. The sotware is useless, and the video capture is pretty poor quality but for a quick and inexpensive audio capture it should suit your needs quite well.

Johnny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]