FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advanced Noise Reduction in Audition?

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay CarterAdvanced Noise Reduction in Audition?
by on Apr 28, 2013 at 3:44:33 pm

Please read all of the information I have given before answering this question. I've posted this question before and I feel like no one reads the information and they tell me something I already know so then I get no new answers. I really need help with what I am trying to edit. To anyone that gives an answer. Thanks!

Well I took some footage at a wedding and I need to do some serious editing to it. I'm a little new to Adobe audition for noise reduction purposes. I edit sound and make music but I've never had to edit sounds this loud before. So here are the things I'm trying to fix. I don't mind having a tedious solution and I don't care how long it takes as long as it works.

1) At one point there is a car that honks it's horn when it drives by and it's really loud. My problem is music is playing and when I try to tone down the car noise it takes the music with it and I can't lose the music there. It's important.

2) It's during an outside wedding so there are a host of other annoying sounds. Grass crunching under peoples feet. random noise from chairs and all kinds of stuff. I know how to use the noise reduction tool for some of the louder ambient noise but is there another tool I can use to refine it more?

3) As the wedding went on there was a significant amount of wind noise through a couple places while the preacher is talking and while I know I can't eliminate it I want to at least reduce it. The process I had begun using was using the Spectral Frequency Display and painting around some of the voices to try to lose some of that wind noise. I had also been using the healing brush tool to remove some of the camera clicks from the photographer that had a very loud camera. (and yes I had a wind cover over my mic. It got so windy it was hard to me to hear from where I was standing for a while and no I didn't have a way to mic the preacher)

I know a little about high-pass and low-pass filters but not very much and I was told that I could try playing around with the different equalizers to reduce the wind noise I don't know which ones and I don't want to have to sit and play around with setting for hours because I know this editing is going to take a long time.

Like I said tedious is fine with me. If I have to spend hours editing tiny pieces then I have to and that's fine. I just need to know where to go from here. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Advanced Noise Reduction in Audition?
by on Apr 28, 2013 at 4:19:18 pm

Since you're fairly new to this, I think you should spend some of that time getting the concepts straight before playing with filters, and possibly introducing more problems to the project. You don't say what version of Audition you have, but I would guess it's CS6 - I'm putting a link to a video on CS5.5, so you should be all set:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/no-stupid-questions-with-colin-smith/advanced-noi...

My guess is that you may have never worked in Spectral Frequency Display, which gives you a very accurate road map of where the noises are that you want to remove. You should be able to look at where the car horn sits in the frequency, then determine whether there's any way to remove it without effecting the music - there's a possibility that it's going to effect the music no matter what you do, but that will be determined by looking at the SFD.

A tip on all of these removals is that everything there is part of the ambience of the wedding - think about just reducing what you consider to be bothersome noises, rather than eliminating them. You'll be able to get the results you want without killing the reality of the setting...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Lindsay CarterRe: Advanced Noise Reduction in Audition?
by on Apr 28, 2013 at 7:54:56 pm

Thank you for the link but I already know how to use the noise reduction settings. I've done a lot of audio editing in the past I'm just used to another program and recently just came into using Audition because it works better with Premiere. I know all of the basic concepts behind audio editing for the most part. I don't know what all Audition can do and where things are and yes I've used the spectral frequency display before. Like I said earlier I know that I can't reduce wind noise entirely but noise reduction barely even lowers it because it comes and goes and isn't continuous like ambient noise. I need something more powerful to at least make the wind noise bearable and to lower some of the background noises without distorting my music and audio to much. what is your suggestion on the best way to get rid of overpowering wind noise? I'm really wanting to learn more about filters because I'm a videographer and It's important that I know what I'm doing. Right now I've already tried out noise reduction and got a high-pass filter on there that's helping with my wind a little.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:20:35 am

Is there anywhere in your footage where there is only wind noise? You could sample the noise floor, then try subtracting it from the audio track.

Here's some more information which might help out:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2508588

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Lindsay CarterRe: Advanced Noise Reduction in Audition?
by on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:32:56 am

I do have sections with just wind I can sample from and it reduces with wind great where there is no audio but where that is audio it's reducing the audio too much and making it sound sort of boxy. Maybe I just don't have the setting right.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:58:29 pm

The trick with the noise floor removal is using a less aggressive pass, so that the parts where it's overlapping other sound don't get stepped on too badly. Otherwise, you could keyframe it, I suppose...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Kirk PittsRe: Advanced Noise Reduction in Audition?
by on May 27, 2013 at 9:10:31 am

Use multitrack mode or a multitrack daw and sync up the music where the horn is with a copy of the music playing. As you bring down the horn volume, use the music in the other track to offset the loss of volume of the music. You may have to work with the music track to match the way the track sounds live.

Might work

Return to posts index

mo salhanRe: Advanced Noise Reduction in Audition?
by on Jun 8, 2014 at 6:31:34 am

Hi, I created short youtube tutorial that could maybe help you

hope it helps :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]