FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hopefully not a Dumb Question

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel EvansHopefully not a Dumb Question
by on Oct 27, 2012 at 5:09:06 pm

In an effort to enhance my skillset and improve the quality of what
I might be able to provide potential clients I am looking for ways to improve my audio.

More specifially, lets' pretend I go to a location, set up my inexpensive camera (which has a poor mic at best) and I take my laptop to capture audio separtley. Is there a way I can use a wireless mic to and capture audio in my laptop via audition?

Have done some searches (no luck).
Researched wireless mics (lapel mics etc) but am confused about how to capture the audio. My inexpensive camera can only capture via built in mic.

I am an older geek, still learning, trying to get better. Keep in mind my target audience (clients) would be no where remotely close to what you professionals with the high powered equipment would be.

sorry for rambling, trying to improve.

Fhank
Thank you for taking the time to post.

Return to posts index

Eric StishanRe: Hopefully not a Dumb Question
by on Oct 28, 2012 at 2:39:29 am

I'm no expert by any stretch, but here's what i can recommend?

Computers will typically need an interface of some kind to capture audio, preferably FireWire if you have the money for it. Through the interface, Audition will be able to record directly to the disk(s).

You can also look into digital recorders, like the Zoom H4n, which have inputs and are able to capture audio and use their memory to transfer the recorded audio to the computer. Hopefully that helps.

Return to posts index

Joel EvansRe: Hopefully not a Dumb Question
by on Oct 28, 2012 at 12:42:54 pm

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I am familiar with firewire and have several things I use firewire for as well as usb.

Maybe I should have posed my question more clearly. Since I have audition, I was looking for a way to record audio via a wireless mic.
Last week I did some experimentation, set up camera shot a short piece while having my laptop set up with audition and an inexpensive plug in mic. Though I can see how I might be able to make this work, the down fall is if my on camera talent is further away than the plug mic can reach.

So I think the question is what device would be the best value to capture/record audio with a wireless mic.

On a side note a year or so ago I took a couple of classes and one night the instructor brought his personal camera in, we shot some video and used a wireless mic which the audio was captured into this camera. The bad news is, I am not in position to purchase a camera as nice as his.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
Will research your suggestion on equipment.

Fhank

Return to posts index

Steven TalleyRe: Hopefully not a Dumb Question
by on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:09:27 pm

To connect the Wireless Mic receiver to your computer you need a USB or Firewire device to act as your sound card. It will be far superior to any laptop's built in sound card. Some brands to look at are M-audio, Presonus, and Tascam. Prices start at about $100 and go up from there.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=usb++audio+i...
or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=firewire+aud...
or try BSWusa.com, Guitarcenter.com, Sweetwater.com, Zzounds.com, SamAsh.com or Amazon.com or a music store near you.

Do you have a wireless mic already? If so check the the output from the receiver so it will input to the audio interface easily.
Just about every available interface will work fine with Audition, just run Audition after you have installed the interface and select the interface in the preferences for the audio device.
Is that what you were asking about?

Easiest solution would be to get longer mic cables. It will be a lot cheaper and sound better if you have mic's useful for this endeavor.

Return to posts index

Joel EvansRe: Hopefully not a Dumb Question
by on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:27:11 am

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

You cleared up a couple of things I was struggling with, for example you pointed out the need for a usb or firewire to act as a sound card. When I hear (read) usb/firewire I am thinking about usb cable, not a sound card.

I do realize longer mic cables are the answer, but in my mind the best all round solution is wireless, I think there is more flexibility (at least for me) and what I envision for the future.

Currently, I do not have a wireless, only looked on line and made a mistake of going to a big box retailer, and the little geek who waited on me knew less about this process than I currently do. So it was a waste of time even though I did see a couple of wireless mics (not lapels) so I did learn some things on my own.

There is a music store/retailer pretty close to me, just have not had the chance to make a visit.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Fhank

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]