FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing FCP timeline via OMF/XML, stereo pairs are split into mono tracks

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham HutchinsImporting FCP timeline via OMF/XML, stereo pairs are split into mono tracks
by on Oct 8, 2012 at 9:42:44 pm

Hello all,

I'm trying to do some sound design and audio finishing on a short I'm working on and I thought I would crack open Audition CS6 and give it a whirl.

The issue I'm having is that the stereo pair audio for my dialog, SFX and music is being split by Audition into separate mono tracks, which means that I cannot set keyframes, adjust envelopes, noise reduction, etc. on a per stereo pair basis, I can only address one side of the stereo pair at a time. I've used OMF, I've tried XML straight into Audition, and I've run it through Premiere via XML, which also has the effect of splitting the stereo pair.

I'd like to be able to edit and process these stereo pairs at the same time, rather than have to essentially do double the work and not be nearly as precise as I would otherwise be if I were able to edit this audio as stereo pairs.

I am aware of using buses to mix down channels into one channel, but this seems like a clunky workaround compared to how it seems like it should work.

Thank you for your time.

UPDATE:

So it seems that clip processing/noise reduction does work on the stereo pair and there are a few editing functions you can do by shift selecting the stereo pairs, things like adjusting the edit points and fades. Still no way to link envelopes and keyframes or track effects though. Seems like a bus is the way to go, as far as my thinking takes me.

-Graham

OSX 10.7.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3
DaVinci Resolve
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 32 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Durin GleavesRe: Importing FCP timeline via OMF/XML, stereo pairs are split into mono tracks
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:04:06 pm

Hi Graham,

FCXML and OMF treat every audio clip and track as mono, while Audition can support mono, stereo, or 5.1 clips and tracks with any combination of those mixed together. It sounds like you've already found the solution - route these tracks to a stereo bus and put effects and automation on the bus. You can also group each pair of clips together which will allow you to perform trims, splits, edits, etc on the clips in unison and maintain sync and sample accuracy while doing so.

In the future, I'd like Audition to be able to recognize these split-out mono entities as a stereo item and group appropriately, but there are some conceptual hurdles and assumptions inherent to these formats to overcome.

---
Durin Gleaves
Adobe Audition

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]