FORUMS: list search recent posts

Acoustic guitar-reducing harshness, buzzing of strings

COW Forums : Adobe Audition

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
Acoustic guitar-reducing harshness, buzzing of strings
on Jul 21, 2012 at 4:09:12 pm

Hi
Did a live recording recently of a friend playing acoustic guitar in a club. Was able to get a clean feed off the PA into my ZOOMH4N.

Can anyone suggest some best practices when working with acoustic guitar in Audition?
What compression, equalization should I use?
How can I reduce some of the harshness and 'buzzing' sounds the strings make?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Acoustic guitar-reducing harshness, buzzing of strings
on Jul 22, 2012 at 8:33:00 am

Here's a hint: Use a parametric EQ filter, make the Q kind of medium narrow and cut the frequency hard. Listen to your audio on loop and sweep (move back and forth) the frequency of the EQ. Mark down the frequencies that you feel are the source of the issue. Take the parametric EQ off at this point.

Use Multiband compression. Add a compression band around the trouble frequency and give it a good compression ratio like 6:1. Set your threshold based on your amplitude so the compressor actually kicks in. Listen to how it affects the quality of the sound and adjust the compression ratio to taste.

I've been using multiband compression more and more. EQ is fine but unless you're trying to really cut some undesirable frequencies, I usually hold off adjusting EQ until the mixing stage. I can cut/boost as I see fit to piece different instruments together.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services.
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]